Getting a good haircut

LanternHead
Goal: Look GREAT
Motto: You don't know what you're capable of!

Tue May 04, 2021 5:19 pm

Can anyone share advice on finding a good men's hairstylist?
Or, general advice on getting a good haircut?
I've been letting it grow out the past 4 months or so (now a little longer than my pfp) and I feel that I'll need to have it cut soon.
Are there hairstylists that offer "consultations", or something to that effect? I've had too many experiences where I feel too rushed or too unqualified to explain what exactly I want, and the barber either misunderstands me or I'm explaining it to him wrong. This is exacerbated by me, as a mixed person, having trouble finding models that look like me, so it's hard for me to know what looks good on me until it's already on me.
I just want some time to sit down with an expert and have both of us understand 100% what the plan is. I'm sick of the $25 haircut experience.
We'll be there.
Sin Silver
Name: Silver
Goal: Build a career
Motto: You're responsible for your own happiness

Tue May 04, 2021 6:28 pm

Not sure if this will work for you due to your hair length and ethnicity, but for my hair and trim, I basically walked into the best, most expensive male hair dresses in my city and told them to . 'Do what you think works best'.

Even if it costs to $100 dollars, do it once, then you will have a bench mark for what a good hair cut looks like.
BouffeQ
Goal: 1 date per week

Tue May 04, 2021 6:44 pm

Ask any flamboyant gay dude that lives in your city who is the best barber in town. Meet the barber, ask him what would fit you the best, or just tell 'I want a fuckboy haircut'.
Vice
Goal: Hit 190 lbs

Sun May 16, 2021 6:57 pm

This is an extremely common frustration between me and barbers/stylists. I keep my hair short due to requirements at work, and since your average barber/hair stylist is immersed in the technicalities of the art of cutting hair, it can be very difficult to convey what you want as a layperson. Especially when the barber/stylist doesn't have the best communication skills (ex. Barber asks "left or right?", I respond with "left or right what?!"; Barber, in an exasperated tone: "Do part it LEFT or RIGHT?" Me: "I asked for a fauxhawk")

The easiest solution is to just show them a fucking picture and say "make it look like this". Have a few notes on your phone of different lengths and extra shit you like done. If you meet a barber/stylist who isn't a fucking idiot, politely ask them what key words you can say to other barbers/stylists so that you can effectively communicate what you want in a way they can understand, since you and I aren't constantly thinking about our fucking hair.
Vice's Log (Threesomes, military adventures, online dating shitshow, and shaking off the rust from night game: viewtopic.php?t=739