Eating 2k cals for a few months: 66.4-66.8 kg; Eating 1.9k cals this week: 67.2 kg??

SIGMA_1234
Goal: Digital Nomad Income
Motto: Action > Perfection

Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:40 am

Hey guys, I've been counting calories for a while now through MyFitnessPal, but I still have a lot to learn about it. I have a question.

I've been eating 2k cals for the past few weeks/ months & maintained a weight of 66.4-66.8 kg. But the past week I dropped it to 1.9k cals a day for a whole week, but a while ago I weighed myself and saw that I'm 67.2 kg??? Wtf???

Do take note that I weigh every Sunday when I wake up, before I drink water & eat breakfast. That's been consistent.

What happened? I am just confused after seeing my weight results this morning.
Aspiring Digital Nomad

Follow my lifestyle journey log

Fitness:
-) Cut to 56 kg, then bulk after

Sex Enhancement:
-) Bathmate & Kegels

Learning goals:
-) 10 books
-) more note-taking & reviewing of past materials

^^Lifestyle habit tracker can be monitored here.

Learning Chinese Mandarin:
-) Mandarin 365 Project, monitor here.

Follow my business journey log

$ Goals:
-) US$3k/ mo nomad income
-) US$10k/ mo nomad income
JaegerBombastic
Goal: Enjoy the present

Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:53 pm

I'd weigh yourself daily. Your weight will fluctuate, so it's usually best to weigh daily and take the average every week.

I've heard it can take two weeks to see changes in your weight when you change your diet, though in my experience it's just over a few days. So I'd also wait another week or so.

Good job on weighing yourself in the morning before you drink water or eat breakfast. I'd also recommend using the bathroom before you weigh yourself (if you're not already). Seems to make things more consistent for me.

And whenever this happens to me (I change calories and my weight doesn't change as expected), it usually comes down to me not being precise enough with weighing my food. So if this continues, assume that it's some measurement error on your part. I'm also assuming your exercise hasn't changed.
Adam
Name: Adam
Goal: Lose Fat
Motto: Become someone you admire

Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:26 am

Yeah, likely just a random fluctuation. Weighing daily and then taking the weekly average will give you a better sense of whether your diet is working, assuming that you can do that without obsessing over daily fluctuations and letting that affect your mood.
2022 Goals:
(1) Get Abs
(2) Get to 15 lifetime lays (currently at 10)
(3) Move to a new city with lots of single girls - DONE 6/12
Lostcause
Goal: New toys

Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:50 am

You need about 500 calories deficit a day for a week, to lose 0.5kg iirc. TBH, 100 calories deficit is not enough to see any realistical progress in such a short span of time, especially when you consider weight fluctuations
NotYourAverageNerd
Name: John
Goal: GET LAID
Motto: JUST FUCKING DO IT

Thu May 06, 2021 11:56 pm

Just saw this, I'll also echo what's already been said about fluctuations - you can't base this stuff on a single weigh-in. I'd weigh yourself daily and track a running average over at least a week. A lot of people will advise only measuring once a week because your weight fluctuates daily. Problem with that thought process is, you're still measuring at one instant in time, not averaging over the whole week, so doing that won't remove the fluctuations at all!

I also went through a lot of this here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=332
Scroll down to the part with the graphs, around the end of Section 1 and start of Section 2.

(In nerd terms, because I'm a nerd, you're sampling the noise at a lower rate, rather than filtering it. Sampling does not remove noise, it will actually mix/alias down higher frequency noise to "baseband". If you really want to dig into it, look at the idea of the nyquist limit, this is similar).

Also, 100 cals/day is only 700 cals/wk, you'd only realistically expect to lose a MAXIMUM of about 0.1kg/wk at that rate, and even then only for a few weeks before your body adapts to only use 1900 cals per day.

Typically to see any significant progress, you have to ditch a little more than that, or, increase your expenditure along with it. If you've plateaued and AREN'T doing any cardio, I'd start adding some of that in. Any cardio works, walking, biking, swimming, roller blading, fucking, jogging, whatever you like doing. Even just like 10 minutes/day, consistently, does make a difference (and more so, is the gateway drug to doing way more).
JUST FUCKING DO IT
Current goal:
-Make some close friends
-Get into the party/"promotion" scene

Past goals:
-Deal with self-condemnation: sort of? Not really gone but it's not the overwhelming force it used to be
-Sex with at least 1 new girl per month (2/21 to 12/21) - Completed 6 out of 11
-Pre-pandemic bench, deadlift by 02 / 15 / 21 - Completed 2/15/21