New here, trying to get into shape before putting myself out there for dating and such ! Help is greatly appreciated

Lostcause
Goal: New toys

Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:14 am

Ashsrt wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:16 am
Coming back to your original photos, I think you can get pretty far in just 12 weeks. You don’t have a lot of muscle on your frame, putting some on will make a huge difference in your appearance. Lucky for you newbie gains are a thing. Aim to lose a half kg a week.
I am gonna be a pessimist dude as always.
Yeah, in three months you can lose a noticeable amount of weight. But in this case, if he's really 15%bf (which is pretty low, probably you do not want to get lower, but the scales tend to lie in that regard so you should consider your looks first) the issue is the amount of muscle mass which is a slow grind to gain. Yeah, you can see a progress in gaining muscle in 3 months, but not that big, especially if your genetics are not preferable for building muscle (if they were you would not be here asking for advice, would you). Don't make my mistake and be prepared for years of building muscle ahead of you, not weeks. You will be in for a disappointement otherwise.

So in short, do not obsess over not being in form when your uni opens. You won't be and it does not matter. Focus on slowly gaining muscle mass and training cardio - your resting heart rate is literally my heart rate when I do cardio.
Adam
Name: Adam
Goal: Lose Fat
Motto: Become someone you admire

Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:51 pm

Yaxir wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:51 pm
I know Adam suggested some exercises - but i am going to need help deciding the actual routine ?

how many reps ? how many circuits or sets i can do ? or rather how many should i do ?
Hey Yaxir. You can adapt the previous routine that I gave you with new exercises that don't stress your knee while it's recovering.

Reverse Lunge (5-10 reps each leg) - Skip this since you were instructed by the doctor to not put load on your knee.
Pushups (6-12 reps) - IF you can do these without any knee pain, do them. If then cause any knee pain, replace them with Floor Dumbbell Press.
Bodyweight Squats (10-20) - Skip this for the same reason as the lunges
Negative Pullups (4-8) - Replace with Dumbbell Rows (Look up on Youtube). If they cause knee pain, just skip them.
Plank (20-60 seconds) - IF you can do this without knee pain, do it. If it causes pain, replace it with Hollow-body Holds (look them up on Youtube)

Since you are skipping leg exercises, you can add some additional upper body exercises if you want . Choose 2 from:
Seated Lat raise with very light weight (8-12 reps).
Seated Overhead Press (6-12 reps)
Seated Bicep curls (10-15 reps)

Same as before. 3 circuits. If it becomes easy, increase the weight/difficulty of the exercise OR add a 4th circuit.
2022 Goals:
(1) Get Abs
(2) Get to 15 lifetime lays (currently at 10)
(3) Move to a new city with lots of single girls - DONE 6/12
Yaxir
Goal: Get Laid / Lose Fat

Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:55 pm

So a bit of weight progress at first ..

Unless i am superhuman or the scale is broken , i lost over 2 kg in 10 days - i only walked and ate once a day ( tried to eat as much calories but didn't exactly count them to a number -probably under ate rather than over )

Make of this what you will and let me know if this is the correct way to go ..

Also these measurements is assuming i am 5'6 ( i verified my height with someone who i know are practically the same height as me and know their height to the inch )

I measured fully naked this time , not a single piece of clothing on my body

Done on Honor Scale 2

P.S : i had no dumbells, got them just today will start workout tomorrow

P.S : i would ignore the heart rate - it's different on every reading and i don't really get why heart rate is important while measuring weight
Yaxir

Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:00 pm

Oh and sorry for the late updates - i will try to be more active as things fall into place

there is some emotional / psychological baggage that i have held on for too long , i am working on letting it go forever

here's to better progress and despite the challenges that have come up ..

let's try to make the most of what we've got , you literally only get one life - have to make the most of it !
Yaxir

Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:16 pm

Ashsrt wrote:
Looking at your original photos, and with your current weight at 60kg (135lb), I think you can make a huge amount of progress in about 12 weeks. Sucks to hear about your knee, I’ve been there with a torn meniscus, it’s terrible. Stick to upper body weights, and light cardio if you can. Do not aggravate your injury, I’ve been doing mma with a fractured rib for 6 weeks and it hasn’t gotten better.

Coming back to your original photos, I think you can get pretty far in just 12 weeks. You don’t have a lot of muscle on your frame, putting some on will make a huge difference in your appearance. Lucky for you newbie gains are a thing. Aim to lose a half kg a week.

My suggestion, count every single calorie that enters your body. Be in a deficit to lose weight. You said you can walk 2.5km, wrap your knee with an ace bandage and do that 2x a day. Get your weights and lift with intensity. As you get stronger your joints takes less pressure and your knee will heal. When that happens add more low impact cardio in (swimming/biking)

If I’m way darker then you and get lays, you can do it too. So don’t focus on that.

And lastly, find a push/pull/legs workout routine. I wouldn’t worry too much about the exact details, you’re new to the gym. Literally any stimulus will make you grow. For the legs part only workout your right leg, but I’d still do some sort of exercise for your left leg just to keep off muscle wasting.

Good luck man
thanks for the elaborate post

doing everything to protect my knee - sucks that i can't run but i probably did this to myself ( bone bruise is either due to overloading the knee or a high impact on the bone )

i see .. well , i will just keep my head down and focus on working out - it's all i can do

interesting point about stronger joints taking weight off my knees - looking forward to it !

what would be the second time to walk the 2.5 km ? ( the first walk i take in morning - afternoon on empty stomach )

as for the " push/pull/legs workout routine " - can you tell me more about this ? and since gyms are not open i am not sure how to work legs out without equipment , esp with the injured knee. will appreciate your guidance

oh and what i said about my skin color - i said it out of insecurity / anxiety , it was a very stupid thing to say i admit - i own who i am by race , that's a natural part of our identity.

I won't focus on that and instead be confident about it - that's a promise !

we should focus and improve ourselves where we substantially can

btw , i got the Huawei Watch GT2e for heartrate measurement during running / walking - cost a fair amount of money and hopefully it will help with the workouts !

cheers Ashsrt , always happy to discuss and learn from you !
Yaxir

Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:17 pm

Lostcause wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:14 am
Ashsrt wrote:
I am gonna be a pessimist dude as always.
Yeah, in three months you can lose a noticeable amount of weight. But in this case, if he's really 15%bf (which is pretty low, probably you do not want to get lower, but the scales tend to lie in that regard so you should consider your looks first) the issue is the amount of muscle mass which is a slow grind to gain. Yeah, you can see a progress in gaining muscle in 3 months, but not that big, especially if your genetics are not preferable for building muscle (if they were you would not be here asking for advice, would you). Don't make my mistake and be prepared for years of building muscle ahead of you, not weeks. You will be in for a disappointement otherwise.

So in short, do not obsess over not being in form when your uni opens. You won't be and it does not matter. Focus on slowly gaining muscle mass and training cardio - your resting heart rate is literally my heart rate when I do cardio.
hey mate ! ( nice pic btw , really like your pink hoodie bro ! )

thanks for the alternate perspective

tbh , it's a bit of a bummer to know that the whole muscles thing will take time - but i do believe that anything worthwhile takes time - so be it !

tbh, i NEVER tried gym before except just for shits and giggles 6-7 years ago and that wasn't even good - i was dying from anxiety and lack of purpose back then ..

so as far my genetics are concerned ... well i don't know anything about them and there is only one way to find out - by actually sticking to a consistent workout routine

I am not expecting anything major all of a suddent tbh - i just want to lose the belly , correct my posture and be confident in my body - i don't have to be a chad at the very start , although i would like to become one later on .. since looks do matter

But i will try to be humble and just put in the work on the journey - this has to be a lifestyle , not just a temporary fix

going to try my best to inculcate good habits in this journey
Last edited by Yaxir on Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yaxir

Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:38 pm

MakingAComeback wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:02 am
Knee rehab is totally possible, if you have these issues, you will need to get to the core or it will return. Building strong knee over toe ability may be a good idea. I restate this because it doesn't seem like you have put together a rehab program, rather, you are just asking these guys for lifting advice? Not smart. I shared a resource above, consider consulting it if you wish to attain a structure that can be durable and reliably perform with minimal injury risk.

Brown dudes do tend to have a weird time dating, but I have known one in my life who did very well. I know you're not complaining, neither am I (I don't give a fuck what colour a human is). So I had a friend in University who was a total slayer, but I think he was an actual psychopath without feelings, he was ruthless and simply didn't care lol. Fucked endless bitches, he would bring multiple back home for him and my other flatmates. He is now smashing life in corporate law. His confidence levels are insane but although he was a close friend, he was not what I could call a decent human. Some guys are wired differently and it's not what I want to be around. Point being, if you become one of the best men out there, you can overcome any disadvantages. You don't have the luxury of being able to slip on a damn thing, so don't, build the total package and be able to compete with the best.

People have a problem with admitting things like that. I don't. You won't convince anybody either. I wouldn't choose to be anything other than what I am, and I'm guessing you wouldn't either. If I came back to this world, I would choose the life of the warrior again.

Keep working man.

MAC
Hey Mac, sorry mate .. i couldn't get back to anyone here - there's a bit of 'restructuring' going on .. let's just say there are some psychological challenges that i am trying to overcome on my own

first off , i appreciate you suggesting that channel and i admit - my lazy ass has not rehab plan but that's partly because i am kind of scared hearing the word 'rehab' .. it kind of sounds like working on a disability and that makes me anxious

but i totally understand and appreciate it - going to take a look at it nowadays and see what i can do .. a bone bruise is tricky but i hope it can be cured

interesting bit about the brown dude you knew - for sure he had the fierce inner psychology to bang several girls and absolutely ace corporate law - that's like cutthroat emotionless mentality stuff and he was built for it

And you're absolutely on point - i am not complaining who i am by race and naturally , we should embrace who we are and work on what we can improve

the funny thing is - improving ourselves helps us learn and gain so much more that we wouldn't have known if things were just given to us beforehand .. it truly makes us realize and value ourselves and what we can become

i believe we have all gone through shitty time periods where we wanted to off ourselves , Andy would know - he was suicidal , but he came through it and i did too - some time ago for about two years in my life i didn't want much from life and the thought of my family was the only thing holding me together and keeping me alive back then .. i am glad i was eventually able to see the better side of life and realize there's so much more to life than just some petty thoughts or choices that bother you mentally ..

the beauty of rising from the ashes - i don't think many get to experience that .. we should consider ourselves lucky heh

just gotta do away with the psychological hurdles / negative thinking , and we'll be set for setting everything on fire !

Mac, it's amazing to have you here and best of luck to you too !

see you around !
Yaxir

Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:51 pm

Adam wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:51 pm
Yaxir wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:51 pm
I know Adam suggested some exercises - but i am going to need help deciding the actual routine ?

how many reps ? how many circuits or sets i can do ? or rather how many should i do ?
Hey Yaxir. You can adapt the previous routine that I gave you with new exercises that don't stress your knee while it's recovering.

Reverse Lunge (5-10 reps each leg) - Skip this since you were instructed by the doctor to not put load on your knee.
Pushups (6-12 reps) - IF you can do these without any knee pain, do them. If then cause any knee pain, replace them with Floor Dumbbell Press.
Bodyweight Squats (10-20) - Skip this for the same reason as the lunges
Negative Pullups (4-8) - Replace with Dumbbell Rows (Look up on Youtube). If they cause knee pain, just skip them.
Plank (20-60 seconds) - IF you can do this without knee pain, do it. If it causes pain, replace it with Hollow-body Holds (look them up on Youtube)

Since you are skipping leg exercises, you can add some additional upper body exercises if you want . Choose 2 from:
Seated Lat raise with very light weight (8-12 reps).
Seated Overhead Press (6-12 reps)
Seated Bicep curls (10-15 reps)

Same as before. 3 circuits. If it becomes easy, increase the weight/difficulty of the exercise OR add a 4th circuit.
Hey Adam , as always grateful for your advice and guidance

terrific i can definitely try this and let you know some feedback , i got the dumbells today

i do have a few questions :

0. Is there any warm up - i recall you telling me that warm up is VITAL when lifting weights ! Also, i don't want any further injuries .. so would appreciate your input here !

1. What's the best time of the day to work out ?

2. Should i eat anything before lifting dumbells ? Will i need any energy or anything ? or just water will do ?

3. Will lifting dumbells improve my posture ? this might be a rookie question but i work alot on PC and my posture is troublesome , hence this question ..

4. Can in walk ( 2.5 or 3.5 km ) on the SAME day i work out with Dumbells ? or should i keep the days separate ? Asking since i won't run

5. I know you said to try the original workout on alternate days - but is there any benefit to doing this 4 or 5 times a week instead of 3 times a week ? asking since i will not be running any more for some time

6. I recall the push up bars i have .. are there any other exercises i can do with them , apart from push ups ? This is a stupid question but i read some people doing L-sits and even Dips with Pushup bars - are these safe to do for the knee ? or should i leave them out

Thanks for all your help , Adam

i sincerely appreciate it !
Adam

Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:55 pm

Hey Yaxir.

0. Is there any warm up - i recall you telling me that warm up is VITAL when lifting weights ! Also, i don't want any further injuries .. so would appreciate your input here !
I posted a sample warm-up earlier in this topic or in your other one when you originally asked. You can use that one.

1. What's the best time of the day to work out ?
There isn't a best time. Just make it consistent so you form the habit. Whenever you naturally have the most energy and are most motivated to work out would be the best time.

2. Should i eat anything before lifting dumbells ? Will i need any energy or anything ? or just water will do ?
You don't need to eat or drink anything before lifting. Drink as you need in order to feel hydrated. You'll learn what sort of food, drink and workout times work best for you as you go.

3. Will lifting dumbells improve my posture ? this might be a rookie question but i work alot on PC and my posture is troublesome , hence this question ..
Over time, yes. So will bodyweight exercises. Any strength training will help you with your posture as you strengthen your back muscles. It's slow though.

4. Can in walk ( 2.5 or 3.5 km ) on the SAME day i work out with Dumbells ? or should i keep the days separate ? Asking since i won't run
Yes, you can always walk as long as it doesn't cause you pain.

5. I know you said to try the original workout on alternate days - but is there any benefit to doing this 4 or 5 times a week instead of 3 times a week ? asking since i will not be running any more for some time
Start with 3 days this week. If that feels easy and you think you can do more, go to 4 days. Alternately, you can just walk more.

6. I recall the push up bars i have .. are there any other exercises i can do with them , apart from push ups ? This is a stupid question but i read some people doing L-sits and even Dips with Pushup bars - are these safe to do for the knee ? or should i leave them out

As far as dips with push up bars: Maybe, I haven't tried it. They seem too low to the ground to do dips with them. As for any exercise being safe to do for your knee: You aren't lifting heavy weights. Generally, bodyweight exercise is safe for you to do as long as it doesn't cause you any pain. You will need to learn to listen to your own body for this.
2022 Goals:
(1) Get Abs
Yaxir

Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:54 am

Medical Update : Had my visit at the Orthopedic Doctor today .. i told everything about the pain i felt and the walks i was doing to lose weight

the have PROHIBITED me from any kind of exercise that involves feet - INCLUDING walks

just so you guys can factor that in during future advice ( hopefully not too long in the future though )

This is for 2 months atleast .. i'm confused but i guess i will just do lifting for now
Yaxir

Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:17 pm

Adam wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 3:40 am
@Yaxir My advice is to just start. Do your first workout tomorrow if you haven't already done it today. The workout/run schedule you outlined in your previous post is fine. Try it for a week. See how you feel. You might want to do more. You will probably want to do less. Don't try to create the perfect plan. You have enough to get started with. So start, then come back with questions based on your experience.

As for a warmup, here's what I use. Takes about 5 minutes:
2 neck circles each direction
8 shoulder rolls each direction
8 big arm circles each direction
8 hip circles each direction
8 toe-touches
That thing kids do when they're bored where you swung your arms from side to side while turning your torso in each direction. 10 of those.

Again, just get started. Any online warmup routine will do if you don't like what I've put above. Hell, walking for 5 minutes will probably be enough. Just do something to get your body used to moving if you've been sitting in a chair all day prior to the workout. You're just doing bodyweight exercises at this point, so although you still want to warmup, it's not as big a deal as it would be if you were lifting weights.
Hey Adam , is this the warm up i should do ?

and if so - which exercises should i avoid to put strain on my knee ?
Adam

Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:01 pm

Yes, that's the warm-up. The only thing that might put any strain on your knee is hip-circles, but I doubt it. Try them, and if anything causes pain in your knee, skip it. You'll be doing mostly upper-body exercises until your knee heals so you don't really need to warm up your legs that much.

Also, since you're just getting started working out, I recommend posting a record of your workouts on this log. It will help you see your progress and give everyone an idea of how much you can do. Basically, for each exercise just post the amount of weight plus the number of reps you did in each circuit.
2022 Goals:
(1) Get Abs
Yaxir

Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:44 am

Gyms are finally open !

@Adam and others, can you suggest a gym workout routine for me ? I am willing to take what you suggest for the dumbells work out and combine it with the very first workout you gave me

sorry, for reporting back so late - i was kicked out from dorms due to being unvaccinated and had to live and move across the city which kinda sucked but proved a learning / maturing process and experience

anyways, i am ready to split time between studies and workout - so please, please share whatever advice you think might be best

thanks
Svadhishthana
Goal: Be Free
Motto: Climb that goddamned mountain

Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:01 pm

How's your knee? Fully recovered?

Others recommended at-home workouts you could do. Have you been consistent with those? Having a gym and a plan are worthless without consistency.

I haven't done them personally, but I've heard Strong Lifts and Grey skull LP are good plans for beginners. Others might have other recs that would be better, but the important thing is to start asap.
Previous goals:
- Retire in early 2022 with combo index funds / real estate. (Complete, late)
- Get fit (hotter, more athletic, more injury-resistant). (Ill defined, but improved)
- Get laid at least one more time before 30th birthday (Complete).
Yaxir

Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:25 am

Svadhishthana wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:01 pm
How's your knee? Fully recovered?

Others recommended at-home workouts you could do. Have you been consistent with those? Having a gym and a plan are worthless without consistency.

I haven't done them personally, but I've heard Strong Lifts and Grey skull LP are good plans for beginners. Others might have other recs that would be better, but the important thing is to start asap.
The knee is a tricky issue, it still gets fatigued while playing football (only played once) so i decided not to risk it any more and accept that the process will take time

Sadly, i wasn't consistent and for that i do feel terrible but it's better than lying about it

I went to the gym today and just did exercise cycle for around 25 minutes

I will try inculcating what Adam and others told me in my gym routine now that i have gym equipment available

And of course, i will be consistent !