How to Fall In Love With the Process of Working Out

SIGMA_1234
Goal: Digital Nomad Income
Motto: Action > Perfection

Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:40 am

Hey guys, so I got my resistance bands and was thinking of starting to at least take baby steps to getting a good physique.

My problem is that I am just lazy as fuck to work out. There's only one reason I want to do this: to look better and get laid with hot, young chicks. But if I focus too much on the end result, I feel like I am just setting myself up for disappointment like this because it will take a long time to get there.

How do you guys get around thinking like this?
20200807_222422.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SIGMA_1234 on Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aspiring Digital Nomad

Follow my lifestyle journey log

Fitness:
-) Cut to 56 kg, then bulk after

Sex Enhancement:
-) Bathmate & Kegels

Learning goals:
-) 10 books
-) more note-taking & reviewing of past materials

^^Lifestyle habit tracker can be monitored here.

Learning Chinese Mandarin:
-) Mandarin 365 Project, monitor here.

Follow my business journey log

$ Goals:
-) US$3k/ mo nomad income
-) US$10k/ mo nomad income
benstrong26
Name: Ben
Goal: Get to 15% Body Fat

Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:50 am

I didn’t start working out to have an impressive physique, I started working out to get strong. Tbh, it was a grind until I started seeing results, then I got addicted to the process. There is a major high to seeing progress.

Also, find the thing that works for you. For me it was CrossFit, the group setting made it easy for me to show up and get the work done. I’ve tried powerlifting by myself and it was harder to keep myself accountable. Would I be stronger if I solely did powerlifting? Yes, but I’m not sure it’s something I would have been able to stick with long term.
Lostcause
Goal: New toys

Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:22 am

Cant really say I am anywhere near ripped, but what helped me get consistent trainings is:

1. Working out at home.
I can work out whenever I feel like. I do not need a long commute to the gym. No one bothers me while working out. I can do whatever I want in between reps. Bodyweight exercise can not be good for everyone tho. Probably not as good at building muscle mass as regular lifting, but it's better to have a training you enjoy instead of a BETTER training you will not follow because you hate it.

2. Finding out what works for you - I do really simple, yet effective exercises with a long rests between sets. I hate high intensity exercise. I would rather take a long rest, then do more reps because my muscles are more fresh.

3. See your progress - if you are willing to lose weight I imagine it must be REALLY motivating seeing your bodyfat decrease at muscle showing. It's really tedious the other way around tho (when you are skinny, but with no muscle, because building muscle will take you much longer then losing fat). Also set realistic expectations. Some people may need half a year to look great. Some will need something like few years tho. Genetics is a bitch.

4. Get hyped - watching others lift or just talk about lifting makes you feel like lifting yourself. I always feel like exercising after watching youtube channels on that topic. Also, bodybuilding is entertaining on its own, even if it doesn not motivate you to bodybuild aswell hah.

Disclaimer again - not a gym expert, not even having a great physique myself - but I can tell I managed to find motivation to exercise regulary this way.
skankhunt42
Goal: Getting laid

Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:49 am

Without becoming all philosophical, telling yourself that you're "lazy as fuck" is a very negative mindset to have. Tell yourself instead that you're not lazy af and will do whatever it takes. Something that really helped me was removing the expectation of needing to be "motivated" enough to keep consistent. Motivation won't always be there for you, it's kinda like my ex wife: it'll only be around while things are going well.
Commit yourself to being disciplined and you won't have any problem keeping it up.
Sin Silver
Name: Silver
Goal: Build a career
Motto: You're responsible for your own happiness

Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:45 pm

After strength training, your blood system will be filled with adrenaline and testosterone. You will feel really good, even a horny. Eventually, if you work out enough, it will become one of those things that you start to look forward to, as subconsciously know your gonna get all those feel good hormones at the end.

A still struggle to motivate myself sometimes, but once your in the swing of it, I enjoy each and every work out. A good quote is: "no one ever regrets going to the gym"
SIGMA_1234
Goal: Digital Nomad Income
Motto: Action > Perfection

Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:51 pm

skankhunt42 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:49 am
telling yourself that you're "lazy as fuck" is a very negative mindset to have.
I guess I just worded it wrongly. Not "lazy as fuck" per se... It's the feeling that... your mind wants you to do it, but your body doesn't want to. And in those days my mind needs to use quite a lot of willpower just to get to the 1st rep.
Aspiring Digital Nomad

Follow my lifestyle journey log

Fitness:
-) Cut to 56 kg, then bulk after

Sex Enhancement:
-) Bathmate & Kegels

Learning goals:
-) 10 books
-) more note-taking & reviewing of past materials

^^Lifestyle habit tracker can be monitored here.

Learning Chinese Mandarin:
-) Mandarin 365 Project, monitor here.

Follow my business journey log

$ Goals:
-) US$3k/ mo nomad income
-) US$10k/ mo nomad income
InsaneAndHappyWithIt
Name: Bogi
Goal: I don't fucking know

Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:08 pm

Here's a habit builder that'll increase your motivation to exercise: after you've done your workout, observe mindfully how you feel and behave, as well as how others perceive you. I become more spontaneous, funny and mindful

When you're aware of positive aspects it'll save in your mind and feel like worth doing regardless
skankhunt42
Goal: Getting laid

Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:18 pm

I guess I just worded it wrongly
Ah yeah, I guess thats what pre-work out is for haha.
Aloofus
Name: Justin
Goal: Help men
Motto: Acta Non Verba

Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:03 pm

I have several sources that drive me to lift... The first was I was sick of being fat. I'd always been chubby, and had gotten heavier as an adult.
After that was the fact I deal with old people that can't even stand up under their own power. I'm never going to be feeble or frail.
BouffeQ
Goal: 1 date per week

Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:58 pm

I never really fell in love with it, I just kept forcing myself, now it became a habit, kinda like brushing my teeth. I don't enjoy it, but if I don't do it I'd feel like crap.
Crisis_Overcomer
Goal: Earn $5,000/month
Motto: Motion beats meditation

Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:12 pm

Don't start working our right now.

You're busy with your side hustle and you expend emotional and mental energy. Since you also need emotional energy to decide to workout, you're shooting yourself in the foot.

I suggest reaching your side hustle to a point where you have a schedule and it's not draining you emotionally. When you reach that point, you can try and inject workouts in your day to day life.
improvements
Goal: Get big, get laid
Motto: Every little really does help

Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:26 pm

Make a record of what you do and what you need to do.

I set up a pretty extensive Excel document of all my lifts, how many reps, what weight and how I feel about going up in weight or reps next workout. And a graph to see my progress. This also acts as my routine planner.

I track all my habits using an app called Habit Bull. Pay for it and you can get a little checkbox widget of things you have to do today on your home screen. It's been effective for me for multiple habits, especially working out.

Never work out for longer than 45-60 mins - but know that you'll work fucking hard during that time. You'll have ups and downs, but most of the time you'll feel the whole "yes, I'm slowly getting there" in the time just after you work out.

Working out from home is easier. It's best if you have a getting ready routine and a dedicated area for it.

I've been doing heavy (for me) compound barbell workouts at home since the start of quarantine and it's become the thing that makes me feel good about myself.
Mav
Name: Mason
Goal: Level Up
Motto: There Is No Tomorrow

Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:46 pm

You need momentum... After a few weeks of consistently working out, you'll start to look forward to the next one because you're seeing progress. Getting started is the hardest part. Once you get into a weekly routine, make sure you don't miss a day... if you miss one day, there's a pretty good chance you'll miss the next and so on. So if you do, you really need to double down to ensure you show up the next day... even if it's just a shorter workout.

One thing that helps motivate me is certain songs or putting on inspiring youtube videos that I listen to when working out, such as Rocky training montages (especially Rocky III & Rocky IV), RSD Motivation (not a fan of RSD dating wise but Tyler made some great motivational videos), David Goggins, certain Joe Rogan podcasts, etc.