Alternating Gym & Home workouts

UpgradeDon
Name: Don
Goal: Get laid
Motto: Always moving forward.

Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:57 pm

Hey guys,
Hope you’re all awesome and making your gains in and out of the gym!

I’m a recently divorced father of two and I have my kids (2 & 4yrs old) on alternating weeks.

I’m going back to full-time work & with limited availability to leave the house when kids are asleep (can’t leave kids home alone haha) to go to the gym, I’m thinking of switching up my workout routine. That way I can still workout in the early mornings/evenings at home on my weeks with the kids when they’re asleep.

At the moment I do:
- weights at the gym 3-4 days a week;
- 5km jogs outside 3-4 days a week;
- 1 day off a week.

So I intend to keep that as my workout routine for my week without my kids, and then for my week with the kids at home doing the following:
- home/body-weight workout 3 days a week;
- 5km jogs on treadmill 3 days a week;
- 1 day off a week.

Is this recommended? Would I still be able to build muscle by alternating my weight workouts with home/body-weight workouts on a weekly basis?
jackBruh
Name: Jack
Goal: Slay demons

Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:17 pm

As long as you can incorporate progressive overload into your home workouts then you'll be fine.
Goals
- Get better photos (✔, formal, group)
- Get a tattoo (✔)
- Get back to the gym (aiming for 80kg 10%) (1/2/3/4 plates ✔/✔/✔/80%)
- Work on location independant income so I can move countries (said fuck it and moved countries before the income)
Lostcause
Goal: New toys

Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:48 pm

Will it be optimal? Hell no.
Will it be better than doing nothing? Much better.

There are definetely lots of people who had built awesome physiques with their bodyweight only - gymnasts most notably.
Gio
Name: Gio
Goal: Get laid

Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:04 pm

I have some experience with this, been training 20 years.

A good starting investment would be a pullup bar.

A good YouTube channel for calisthenic workout ideas is Chris Heria.

JackBruh is right about the progressive overload.

A good way to progressively overload is to perform the movements slow and controlled with full range of motion to maximize time under tension.

Once you can easily lift your bodyweight for about 20 reps or so, invest in a weighted vest. You can add and remove weights to increase resistance as you like and continue progressively overloading.

The weighted vest will also help you bridge the gap between novice calisthenics such as pushups, and more advanced calisthenics such one arm pushups.

Keep in mind that just because you're lifting bodyweight doesn't mean you can't get hurt. That's why I recommend giving yourself a few months to master each movement before adding any resistance.