Travel Advice - Want to learn how to transition from rooted homebody to world explorer

NightRoller
Name: Graham
Goal: Get Career Job, Move
Motto: Win and help win

Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:06 pm

After seeing @AskTheDom ’s offer for a mastermind session in Poland, and sorely wanting to go but not knowing the first principles of planning travel myself (but also having a degree/classes to finish first), I realized the value of the ability to travel. I also realized when it comes to travel, I don’t know even the first thing there is to know… so “why not ask on the forums instead of DMs, so others can benefit?”
A search for “travel advice” didn’t bring up much useful info, but once I graduate this spring I want to capitalize on any weeks and months where I’m not tied down to a job in a specific location and can travel the world. I’ve only been out of the U.S. once, and only in U.S. out of the Midwest while on vacation with parents.

Several people on these forums mentioned they travel, the ones that come first to my mind include @AskTheDom , @MILFandCookies , @Radical , @MakingAComeback , and @Holden .

The Questions: (to start a discussion)

- How did you learn to travel or get started traveling?

- What advice would you give to {someone with low global/travel momentum, but who wants to build it up}, to get started?

- What kind of indirect considerations are there for travel, such as with what to tell friends/family, what kind of work makes it easier to travel in the long term, etc.?

- Are there any resources you recommend to an early traveler? What about an intermediate traveler trying to balance having sex while traveling?
Goals: See this post
Skill-based 365 project
Laycount: 28 --- In 2023: 12 (as of May 03'23)
Radical
Name: Cam
Goal: Funnel/Product Building
Motto: Take drastic action

Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:29 pm

My background - Originally from UK and i've been travelling/living abroad since 24(im 30) without much in the way of breaks
I have had sustainable location independent income for like 18 months now thats allowed me to airbnb hop through Mexico and i've since moved to Vancouver for a year

Travel is very much a just take the plunge and go sort of thing tbh. Answering your questions tho @NightRoller

1. I saved up for a few months and then just jumped all in - 3 month round trip ticket to LA (im from the UK)

2. You are in the US so pick up some domestic travel or jump to Mexico/Canada - cheaper to start with. You can trip up and down the coastlines like i did for a month or two

3. Tell your fam the truth. Regards work i met a fair few guys travelling and doing remote work in stuff like email customer support jobs

4. Not really, just get out there and figure it out. I just did a vid for Andy’s channel on getting laid travelling.

I wrote a get laid in hostels guide for his website too
https://killyourinnerloser.com/how-to-m ... n-hostels/
SpicyBoi
Goal: Make Money & Live It Up
Motto: Killing my inner loser since 03/08/2021

Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:53 pm

@NightRoller

Feel like I can help a lot here, since that’s all I’ve been doing the past 2 years (I also run a travel blog giving advice for budget travellers).

1. I booked a ticket and arrived only with enthusiasm on mind. Like with anything else, it’s really something that you just do and learn (similar to what @Radical mentioned).

2. To be honest, it should already be something that gets you excited… if it doesn’t, then it probably isn’t for you. If you’re bordering on it, then I’d say pick a country you’re interested in, and take a look at some bucket lists for that country to get more enthusiasm.

3. When I left on my first trip years ago I told my family last moment and they were pretty upset. I’d just be honest and say I’m excited to see what this chapter of my life can bring, and also what I can learn. I’d leave out the bit about fucking a tonne of exotic strangers though 😎 when it comes to work there is literally unlimited things you can do, just pick any skill and there’ll be a way to market it online.

4. Just read my logs (links are below). My first year I did nothing but fuck, whilst this year I’m balancing work and lifestyle with dating. In terms of the travel aspect, you can take a look at my blog here: http://latinamericabackpacking.com/

Any other advice or questions just give me or some of the guys here a shout. But yeah travel is one thing you won’t regret doing, but will regret if you’re older and didn’t do it.
Best Achievements so far (Since Aug 2021):

🔥 80 Lays in One Year
🔥 Completed my Latin America Bucket List
🔥 Wrote 446,423 Words in One Year

YEAR TWO: MAKE MONEY AND LIFESTYLE GOALS (Complete)
viewtopic.php?p=61906#p61906

YEAR ONE: GET LAID AND TRAVEL GOALS (Complete) viewtopic.php?p=39991#p39991
NightRoller
Name: Graham
Goal: Get Career Job, Move
Motto: Win and help win

Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:25 pm

Radical wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:29 pm
I just did a vid for Andy’s channel on getting laid travelling.

I wrote a get laid in hostels guide for his website too
https://killyourinnerloser.com/how-to-m ... n-hostels/
I forgot to mention it but your recent video was about half of my inspiration to ask, and why I remembered to include getting laid traveling in the questions. I’ve watched your video at least 3 times over already :) Awesome stuff, any future readers watch it!

And you can bet I’m looking forward to your upcoming hostels video too, and I’ll read the guide.
SpicyBoi wrote:
Feel like I can help a lot here, since that’s all I’ve been doing the past 2 years (I also run a travel blog giving advice for budget travellers).
Awesome! Going to check it out. Put it in my calendar.
SpicyBoi wrote:
My first year I did nothing but fuck
Inspiration to a guy still building confidence, this sounds like heaven but I know it’s work—with the best of payoffs.
SpicyBoi wrote:
travel is one thing you won’t regret doing, but will regret if you’re older and didn’t do it.
Exactly why I realized I need to figure out how to be more free and fluid with my plans and build travel experience. If I try it I can see if I love it as much as I think I will, and the allure of South American girls is pretty high on my radar.
Goals: See this post
Skill-based 365 project
Laycount: 28 --- In 2023: 12 (as of May 03'23)
Radical
Name: Cam
Goal: Funnel/Product Building
Motto: Take drastic action

Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:34 pm

SpicyBoi wrote:
But yeah travel is one thing you won’t regret doing, but will regret if you’re older and didn’t do it.
Something i wholeheartedly agree with. Im on the same page when it comes to actively encouraging younger guys to give it a go

Worst come to worst you just go home earlier than you intended and realise it wasnt for you

@NightRoller happy to hear you enjoyed that vid man. I was apprehensive about making content to go directly on Andy's channel without him in it but seems to be going down well. Will make a hostel vid and update my old guide with it for sure - it will help guys who want cheaper travel options, realise not everyone can afford airbnb apartments
MILFandCookies
Name: Joe
Goal: $10k+/month
Motto: Unchain your Passion & Live Life on Your Own Terms

Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:17 am

NightRoller wrote:
Several people on these forums mentioned they travel, the ones that come first to my mind include @AskTheDom , @MILFandCookies , @Radical , @MakingAComeback , and @Holden .

The Questions: (to start a discussion)

- How did you learn to travel or get started traveling?
My family moved from PA to CA early in my childhood - away from all my extended family who lived on the east coast, so when I was 13 I was flying across the country alone as an unaccompanied minor to see grandparents.

My parents took me on a few trips to different states as a kid, and both sets of grandparents took me out of the country once each.

Travel came naturally to me since I was exposed to it so early.
NightRoller wrote:
- What advice would you give to {someone with low global/travel momentum, but who wants to build it up}, to get started?
I don't know to be honest. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't stay in one place until I was a man.

Seriously though. Austin is the first place I felt was actually home. It's the longest I've lived in one city since I was 7 and I've only been here 5 years.
NightRoller wrote:
- What kind of indirect considerations are there for travel, such as with what to tell friends/family, what kind of work makes it easier to travel in the long term, etc.?
Remote work makes it easier. Freelance is good as long as you have consistent clients, some on retainer etc. Or save up a bunch of money and take a sabbatical.
NightRoller wrote:
- Are there any resources you recommend to an early traveler? What about an intermediate traveler trying to balance having sex while traveling?
Sex is easy if you have a hotel. Hostels are a bit trickier but I've done it.

Resources... hmm... tbh I didn't use any so I don't know.

I wish I could be of more help. I started travelling on my own at a very early age... kind of how a "natural" with girls can't tell you how to get them, I can't tell you how to travel... Perhaps there are more specific logistical questions I can help with, feel free to ask.
I've helped > 100 guys get laid on dating apps.
📸🔥 Dating App Photographer - I'll get you laid, click here: https://www.DatingUnchained.com/ 🔥📸

P.S. I don't like MILFs, just the name ;)

Goal 1:
• Build + maintain $10k+ profit/month

Goal 2:
• Cut some fat to get abs again
ytlord
Goal: Live without regrets

Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:20 am

I’m much closer to the beginning of this journey, but I can give advice as someone who came from a “low travel” background.

I grew up traveling around the US a decent amount, but mostly camping trips and stuff like that. Solo travel is a whole other experience, and one that I think is best to just dive into.

I started with a study abroad where I didn’t know anyone else going. On that study abroad I did a two week solo backpacking trip in Vietnam that introduced me to the hostel scene. Last year I did another two week solo backpacking trip in Nicaragua, and that inspired me enough to quit my job as I’m now a month and a half into an “all of Southeast Asia” trip.

Since you’re in the US, I’ll recommend Nicaragua on a personal level. It sounds terrifying but it’s pretty chill in reality. Two months of Rosetta Stone Spanish beforehand will keep you alive.

Fly into Managua, take the chicken bus to Leon. Stay in Bigfoot hostel and slide down the side of a volcano. Head to San Juan Del Sur next. This leg will be more complicated - ask people around your hostel how to get there. Find a group to go with. Vibe in San Juan Del Sur for the rest of the trip if you want. Stay at Pachamama and party your ass off. Learn to surf. Eat $2 plates of beans and rice.

The real point is - fucking send it. If you go to a cheap but safe country (Nicaragua has a shockingly low crime rate), worst case scenario is getting scammed ~$15 on a bus ride. That’s how you learn.
Vamos
Goal: Being (more) happy

Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:30 am

I've been to 25+ countries now, ok I'm from Europe too, it's much easier than for someone from the US. The basic question is first of all what is your current financial potency, where do you generate income from and what does your career/study/whatever currently look like?
Started a log, feel free to check in: viewtopic.php?p=58691#p58691
AskTheDom
Name: Mario
Goal: Coach
Motto: Alea iacta est

Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:05 am

NightRoller wrote:
How did you learn to travel or get started traveling?
It's not something you learn, it is something you experiment and take lessons from it. I would say as I've been travelling (or nomading) for the last 10 years, it is something that you set your mind to do and just pull the trigger.
There are going to be a ton of emotions coming up when you explore the world ( and yourself) so that teaches a lot
NightRoller wrote:
Make a bucket list of places you want to see, account for budget and extra safety, get the best travel insurance in the market, research the countries you want to go, scams, safety, best places to stay and then just pull the trigger.
Momentum is made by acting over and over
NightRoller wrote:
Well what to tell to people is simply what do you want, I mean, you are telling people you are young and want to see the world which is totally legit, don't let what others think/want stop you.

About jobs, well mainly remote work where output is the only thing needed ( copywriters, social media managers, programmers, web designers, customer service reps) have a look on upwork and free lancer what skills are requested the most and what jobs offer remote location, now it's way better than 12 years ago lol
NightRoller wrote:
There are plenty of resources, some guys already pointed to their content so I would say to start from there.
and like in seduction, it's 10% theory and 90% practice ;)
Mario "The Dom" Tubone
Your Dominance coach - I help Men becoming more confident and competent both inside and outside the bedroom

MY WEEKLY PODCAST: https://rb.gy/8u2e1z