Lenses for the Canon EOS RP, affordable & recommended ?

eric-drifter
Name: Erik
Goal: Get down to 15% bodyfat
Motto: I drift. Mostly, I drift.

Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:03 am

Hey,
Not sure if this is the best place in the forum for a gear question but here goes -
I bought the Canon EOS RP and the 50mm lens recommended by Andy, over a year ago.

I've done some good close-ups/portraits, now I want to be able to take wider angle photos.

I think a kit lens would be ideal so I have a range of zoom options, unless a kit lens is not desirable for other reasons (lower quality photos?)

I want to a lens that goes down to 18mm at least.

Can you guys recommend an affordable kit lens OR an 18mm lens if that's generally cheaper?

My local camera store had a 15-35mm lens that would fit this camera, but it cost $2,400!... hoping I can find something much cheaper, like under $400, is that a pipe dream?

Yours,
eric
Manganiello
Name: Brandon
Goal: Career Launch
Motto: Embrace your Darkside

Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:10 am

@eric-drifter not too many people ask camera questions these days.

Joe from the old Facebook group might know if you still have him. Since he's the resident photographer now
Past Goals:
🗡️ AA Program Log
☀️ Lost vCard from Day Game Post
🇰🇷 Moved to Korea Post
🔥 OLD Log & Lays Log

How I got 9 lays in the first 6 weeks on Tinder
[Guide]

MILFandCookies
Name: Joe
Goal: $10k+/month
Motto: Unchain your Passion & Live Life on Your Own Terms

Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:11 pm

eric-drifter wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:03 am
Hey,
Not sure if this is the best place in the forum for a gear question but here goes -
I bought the Canon EOS RP and the 50mm lens recommended by Andy, over a year ago.

I've done some good close-ups/portraits, now I want to be able to take wider angle photos.

I think a kit lens would be ideal so I have a range of zoom options, unless a kit lens is not desirable for other reasons (lower quality photos?)

I want to a lens that goes down to 18mm at least.

Can you guys recommend an affordable kit lens OR an 18mm lens if that's generally cheaper?

My local camera store had a 15-35mm lens that would fit this camera, but it cost $2,400!... hoping I can find something much cheaper, like under $400, is that a pipe dream?

Yours,
eric
I think you mean zoom lens. "Kit lens" refers to the lenses that come with the camera in the default package.

Zoom lenses have smaller apertures because physics. I could get all nerdy with you and explain why, but it's not necessary.

This means less background blur, which means not as great photos.

For photos of people I'd suggest using primes only.

Canon makes a great 35mm which I own.

It's not as wide as an 18 but I have personal experience with it and can recommend.

Here are a few others I found, but have no experience with:

Samyang 14mm F2.8 Ultra Wide Angle Weather Sealed Lens for Canon R Mirrorless Cameras https://a.co/d/gOmt3gq

I know @KillYourInnerLoser just got an ultra wide he likes that he uses with his EOS R (which I just upgraded to btw.) Maybe he can share the model number.
Last edited by MILFandCookies on Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've helped > 100 guys get laid on dating apps.
📸🔥 Dating App Photographer - I'll get you laid, click here: https://www.DatingUnchained.com/ 🔥📸

P.S. I don't like MILFs, just the name ;)

Goal 1:
• Build + maintain $10k+ profit/month

Goal 2:
• Cut some fat to get abs again
eric-drifter
Name: Erik
Goal: Get down to 15% bodyfat
Motto: I drift. Mostly, I drift.

Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:29 am

Thanks brother.

@KillYourInnerLoser any thoughts? Thanks!
Adrizzle
Goal: Take Action

Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:38 am

The canon 16mm rf is the choice

Samyang will need an ef to rf adapter(which you should get anyway to use cheaper ef glass on your camera)
MILFandCookies
Name: Joe
Goal: $10k+/month
Motto: Unchain your Passion & Live Life on Your Own Terms

Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:57 am

Adrizzle wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:38 am
The canon 16mm rf is the choice

Samyang will need an ef to rf adapter(which you should get anyway to use cheaper ef glass on your camera)
Good catch. I copied the wrong link. Samsung makes every one of their lenses in different versions with pretty much every mount. I replaced the link with the RF version.
I've helped > 100 guys get laid on dating apps.
📸🔥 Dating App Photographer - I'll get you laid, click here: https://www.DatingUnchained.com/ 🔥📸

P.S. I don't like MILFs, just the name ;)

Goal 1:
• Build + maintain $10k+ profit/month

Goal 2:
• Cut some fat to get abs again