What Is Your "Code?"

anorgandroid
Name: Ryan
Goal: Getting My First Lay
Motto: If it is to be, it's up to me

Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:00 am

It's my assumption that every man has his own set of ethics, or "code" that he follows through his life and everyday interactions with people. A set of rules that he ABSOLUTELY MUST follow if he wants to stay true to himself. A majority of these have often been ingrained through his childhood, but they can also be trained through hard work and dedication to further his progress to realizing his true self.

The question I pose today is two-fold: what are the principles that you tell yourself you must uphold at all times, and what do you do if you catch yourself breaking them, or decide they are "old-fashioned" and don't serve you anymore?

Here's three of mine to start with:

- Stay true to my word, and ALWAYS follow through on my promises. If any part of me has doubts, then I refuse to make one
- Whenever I catch myself about to perform an action, to think for a bit about its future outcome. If it's predominantly negative, do not continue with the action
- Always greet a stranger or loved one with a friendly face

I'll be the first one to say that these are lofty ideals, but there are times when they don't quite come to fruition (I'll make a stupid promise to a friend to meet him for lunch when I have class, I'm in a bad mood and don't greet my housemates in the morning, etc.). When this happens, I tell myself that it's understandable that that would happen, and to not let it affect my mood going forward, but in order to become the man I'm destined to be, I need to FOLLOW THROUGH on these tenants the best I can. A few deep breaths later, and I'm ready to roll once again.

What about you guys? What is the "code" that keeps you on the right trajectory?
komeback_kile
Name: Kyle
Goal: ++ Mental Resiliency ++
Motto: === Open - Honest - Direct ===

Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:40 am

I used to really love to think about these things like my code, ethics, morals, principles, etc., but I found them to be an exhausting trap for me sometimes. I journal more about these things, but I try not to make them so rigid for myself. Life is much simpler, present, and easier now for me. I would love to read anyone else's, but my only one these days is:

Integrity: meaning I have the honesty and courage to change my mind, say "no", not do something, to do something, communicate all that or nothing at all aside from "no", etc.

Being easier on myself (when I was previously very hard on myself) has benefited me. I am learning to trust my gut/emotions more than trusting my logical brain and hard rules. This comes after 3 decades of life, so your mileage may vary. Hopefully, this does not derail so much from your intent.
musashi6511
Name: alkaline
Goal: 5 lays

Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:47 am

Read Atlas Shrugged, it was gifted to me by the most successful person I know and it changed my life. It’s a long read, but it’s worth it. It taught me how to define myself and value my work. Here are some quotes I remember:

“Show me who a man has sex with, and I will show you his philosophy on life”

“a man's sexual choice is the result and the sum of his fundamental convictions.... He will always be attracted to the woman who reflects his deepest vision of himself, the woman whose surrender permits him to experience a sense of self-esteem. The man who is proudly certain of his own value, will want the highest type of woman he can find, the woman he admires, the strongest, the hardest to conquer--because only the possession of a heroine will give him the sense of an achievement.”

“A man who lies to the world is the worlds slave from then on”

“ Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking”

“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”

“ Let me give you a tip on a clue to men's characters: the man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it.”

You can read more here:

https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/8 ... s-shrugged
“I never found beauty in longing for the impossible and never found the possible to be beyond my reach.”
musashi6511
Name: alkaline
Goal: 5 lays

Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:52 am

komeback_kile wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:40 am
I used to really love to think about these things like my code, ethics, morals, principles, etc., but I found them to be an exhausting trap for me sometimes. I journal more about these things, but I try not to make them so rigid for myself. Life is much simpler, present, and easier now for me. I would love to read anyone else's, but my only one these days is:

Integrity: meaning I have the honesty and courage to change my mind, say "no", not do something, to do something, communicate all that or nothing at all aside from "no", etc.

Being easier on myself (when I was previously very hard on myself) has benefited me. I am learning to trust my gut/emotions more than trusting my logical brain and hard rules. This comes after 3 decades of life, so your mileage may vary. Hopefully, this does not derail so much from your intent.
Trust me, keep journaling. It has been proven over and over again that algorithms perform better than humans. A program that follows rules that people write down actually performs better than the person who wrote it. Try to journal once a week and journal more when you are going through challenges. At the end of the year you can circle back and review lessons learned and begin to build a structured code that you live by. Another benefit is your writing will improve and you will be able to go back during tough times and see how far you’ve come. It’s so important to have a structured process of reflection and learning built into your life.
“I never found beauty in longing for the impossible and never found the possible to be beyond my reach.”