Goal: Get Laid

Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:58 pm

Who here is into martial arts?
Do me a solid and rate my online pictures please:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=425&p=7030#p7030
Mr Available

Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:09 pm

I've been boxing for about 4 years. About 2 of those years were under guidance with a retired professional fighter. I've also trained in Muay Thai as well as certain military style forms. I've also done some BJJ although I'm not that good and I think people with a non-wrestling background need at least 2 years of consistent training to get to blue belt.

If you're training for self defense I personally think you're better off owning a gun AND living in a safe location. Every serious teacher I've had (at least 10+ years of training) tells me if they were to be robbed they would drop their stuff and run.

Given this forum's audience I suggest reading The Little Black Book of Violence. If I could give a summary you want to avoid fights and if you were to get into a fight your life will get very difficult moving forward as various parties want to cash in on your stupidity.

Martial arts is great for self improvement. You adopt a growth mindset. 4 years ago if I jabbed the punching bag I would injure my wrist. Now I can move the bag around as well as do some more advanced tricks. The retired professional fighter would tell everybody fighters would sometimes work on one punch or one aspect of their game for the day (i.e. footwork).
l0vebone
Name: RJ
Goal: get throat
Motto: fuck hos get money

Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:21 am

10 yrs boxing 7 yrs muay thai 3 months wreslting/BJJ here
Mr Available

Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:15 am

l0vebone wrote:
Nice! Ever visited Thailand?

I trained at Tiger and a couple small name gyms when I was in Phuket. I lived like a king in that country.
l0vebone

Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:37 am

Mr Available wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:15 am
l0vebone wrote:
Nice! Ever visited Thailand?

I trained at Tiger and a couple small name gyms when I was in Phuket. I lived like a king in that country.
Nope my trainer was a thai legend though back in the 80s. He grew up best friends and fighting with one of the GOAT's of Muay Thai samart payakaroon. I want to go to thailand soon
Mr Available

Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:11 pm

^^

All of my boxing trainers taught me stuff, but the one that taught me the most is in the hall of fame with 15+ KOs. I might do a "3 things I learned from a HOF Martial Artist" post later this week. Maybe you could do one with your trainer. Down the line I could give my opinion on how to select a boxing gym, as that's the art I'm mostly familiar with. I'm crazy busy.

Off topic:

Tiger is all marketing, there's lesser known gyms like Dragon that will take your game to the next level.

There's plenty of resources to prepare for your trip to Thailand. Some nuggets off the top of my head was bumping into a girl from where I lived who only stayed for 1 week (yeah, crazy) and a Canadian who said Bangkok was his least favorite city while he was touring the region. I think the best advice I can give is don't stay for less than 3 weeks but I'm not sure where you live. You can dine at fancy restaurants at about $50 USD and best massages you will ever receive for $15 per hour. I missed him but if Saenchai was in the city I would have done a 1 on 1 with him ($200 USD per hour). For the uninitiated it's analogous to shooting hoops with Michael Jordan or catching footballs with Joe Montana.

Flights in the Southeast Asian region are cheap unless COVID has changed that. I could have flown to Bali for $80-90.
Mr Available

Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:09 pm

Quick Advice on Selecting a Boxing Gym:

My main experience is with boxing, although I have some experience in Muay Thai. I've also trained in Thailand albeit for a couple weeks. I hope this helps:

I suggest starting out with a trial lesson to feel out the place.

Be specific with your fitness/training goal. Some of the boxing gyms I went to were about 1/2 technique 1/2 cardio. IMO you want the gyms that are about 90% technique as you can always do cardio on your own time. AVOID gyms that don't teach technique. Especially when you're new you could hurt yourself.

Know the gym's sparring policy. I'm assuming people reading this are beginners. Every boxing gym I've been to in America it was only the advanced people sparring. The only exception I've seen was when I was in Phuket and the Muay Thai instructors had sessions for beginners. I don't agree with gyms getting beginners to spar as some people will say they'll go at 50% and then dial it up to 100%. That's a great way for a beginner to never want to box again. I do think sparring will accelerate your learning experience. You can only learn so much just hitting a heavy bag.

Read reviews from other students. Although I've never had any complaints I've heard of some UFC places making it hard for students to cancel.
AnemicBruh
Goal: Find a purpose

Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:15 pm

IMO the best boxing gyms don't have "classes" and are dirt cheap.
The coaches just let people hit the bags and they start giving you pointers and inviting you to spar once they see you're serious about it.
That's the case at least for all of the gyms in my area who produced good boxers.
grodmeister general
Name: grod
Goal: Proficiency at online

Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:40 pm

Super into martial arts well primarly boxing after dabbling other Martial arts ! I done boxing for 12 years and I teach it , and improving my stuff constantly almost daily ,via observation or sparring etc etc etc!
boblikestacos666
Name: Anon
Goal: Fuck bitches. Get money

Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:28 pm

I did amateur boxing for 5 years, and have had 20 + amateur fights.

Competed in tournaments such as Golden Gloves, etc,

Boxing is a great workout, but not really a great career choice.
l0vebone

Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:11 pm

Yeah out of any combat sport boxings the worst for your health. Thats actually one of the reasons i moved to muay thai. In MT/MMA you can always clinch or go to the ground if you start getting hit to the head hard, in boxing theres no way to avoid it. Its the strongest art for the streets though definitively.
Mr Available

Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:13 pm

In the spirit of Logan Paul versus Mayweather this article talks about Mayweather's 40 round training routine:

https://www.boxingnewsandviews.com/2015 ... g-routine/

I think it's more or less accurate. Bottom line is he really trains hard and he has motivation to do so ($$$$$$$$$).
Mr Available

Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:24 pm

My thoughts on cyrotherapy:

I've done 3 cryotherapy sessions. I did it because if athletes like Lebron and Mayweather use it it must work right? I don't think most people here are professional athletes, even at the amateur professional level it would be a stretch to use cryotherapy. While it does help relieve pain I can't justify the cost. Sessions range from $20-$100 USD. I'd argue ice baths and massages are more effective to work out those tight muscles, develop mental toughness, or help relieve pain.
boblikestacos666
Name: Anon
Goal: Fuck bitches. Get money

Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:38 am

@Mr Available cryotherapy is a bunch of bs just to make money. It may help people who have illnesses, but if you're a healthy individual the benefits are minimal. Inflammation actually increases performance in the long run, whereas cryotherapy decreases inflammation. Cryotherapy/ice baths are only useful if you need max performance over a series of days, where inflammation is the cause of a decrease in performance. It won't make you grow muscle faster.
Mr Available

Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:21 am

boblikestacos666 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:38 am
@Mr Available cryotherapy is a bunch of bs just to make money. It may help people who have illnesses, but if you're a healthy individual the benefits are minimal. Inflammation actually increases performance in the long run, whereas cryotherapy decreases inflammation. Cryotherapy/ice baths are only useful if you need max performance over a series of days, where inflammation is the cause of a decrease in performance. It won't make you grow muscle faster.
Not to get too off topic but Brett Osborn's Get Serious talks about how aspirin can be used to decrease inflammation which is how illnesses occur.

Cheap At Home Boxing Aids (since it doesn't look like lockdowns are going away any time soon)
There's a lot of expensive equipment out there, you can get a decent workout with minimal cheap equipment. There's a clip of Lomachenko hitting a tennis ball attached to a backwards cap. With the heavy bags fill it up with sand or rice, you don't want it to move around too much when striking.

Pool noodle and duct tape:

Tennis ball defense drill

4 Awesome Homemade Double-end Bag. Dumbbell. Speed bag. Standing Punching Bag.

Pro fighter Sean Fagan's at home shadow boxing videos are awesome. Some of the follow along videos I've seen display terrible form.