Goals for 2023 - NightRoller's Semiregular Update Log

NightRoller
Name: Graham
Goal: Get Career Job, Move
Motto: Win and help win

Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:35 pm

I've been frustrated with myself lately.

This is largely due to assuming I can handle all the things I want to do, and when it breaks down, my "perfect plans" and systems crumble and can't adapt sufficiently.

I want to finish my homework on time each week. I want to get enough sleep (8 hours) with a good sleep schedule. I want to go to the gym, make network connections on LinkedIn to make progress towards finding a job, go do club activities (e.g. Swing Dance), cook my own meals, keep up my 365 project (still going strong, today will be Day 41!), and occasionally hang out with a girl on a date/have mutually beneficial sex.

The past couple weeks, I've failed to complete my homework until the last minute. I haven't been doing the homework during the "busy" daytime, and because I've stayed up to do the homework late at night, that cuts out any time to work on it in the morning.
This last-minute issue means I'm procrastinating, but not intentionally. It's like I can't bring myself to start because I don't have enough time in a certain block to do it (until later), and time-sensitive things (like club events and the gym closing, and doing my daily 365 project entry) get priority to do during the daytime instead of the homework some of the time. And there is a lot of reading to do for one of my classes (about 12 hours' worth per week), further exacerbating these issues.
I'm frustrated because I only have 4 classes (the least I've had in college), but over the past week I've "had to" do 2 all-nighters to finish homework on time (the most I've had this early in a semester). I hate doing that. It's enough to motivate me to take action to change... like paring down to just what I need to do.

Seeing @Squilliam 's log, and a lot of the solutions guys like @MakingAComeback and others suggested, I knew I have to make use this post.

No Youtube. No hanging out with friends. No experimenting with new recipes, be efficient with time. Laundry and dishes will be done as efficiently as possible. Get dating set up so that I don't have to think about it, I have a date or two per week with minimal texting (girls who love to text like to flake too, I was planning to go on a date today after driving back home for the weekend, having made tentative plans with 4 different girls in the area... none panned out. Good, I need the time to clear my mind and crunch out homework), I can put improving my social skills and dating skills on the backburner until I can finally build structures for myself to complete homework, and can build boundaries for myself so homework doesn't get to dictate my life and wreck all my plans (including sleep). It might have to wait until after I graduate, because homework is greedy for my time and I'm poor at managing my time and impulses (I make plans, then fail to execute on them until it's late and cuts into my sleep).

----------------------

One major point of frustration is how I put off taking actions to get my Tinder account set up or unblocked.

I want to make my dating streamlined so I don't have to bother thinking about it much. Today I'm in the perfect position to do that, because I made plans to do so. But I'm hitting roadblocks already (like not having an SMS number to verify with). But that's okay. I'm in the best position I've had for a while, motivation and logistics-wise, without buying a completely new phone and new sim card.

I've gotten advice for this before, and never allotted time to tackle it, so now I'm going to keep typing on this and log my actions, and can't post this until I succeed or identify a roadblock I can't overcome in the next hour (by 3PM CST). I'll use this for accountability, which is something I realize is very, very important for building momentum.

I have a burner phone I haven't used for Tinder before; no active SIM card, using WIFI.
I'm in a coffee shop (so different IP than any I've used to set up before).

-Checked Tinder and tried using a TextNow number to set it up. No dice, "not a supported carrier"
-Downloaded PingMe (at the suggestion of PancakeMouse earlier in thread), bought a number in the app
-Email: I enter a gmail I just created today
-I connect the apple ID I created on this burner phone (if this fails, I'll reset this phone (or get another, because I have Hinge setup on this one))
-My name, fake Bday (6 months off)
-Starting to enter profile stuff
-Added pictures, basic interests
-Going to create a sufficient-enough profile with some jokes
-Started swiping
-Waiting a few days to start getting matches before I'll consider buying Tinder Gold or Platinum

YES!!! It feels awesome to have broken through, finally!

And I did just get a first like. That's a good sign. But because this will be on a burner phone I usually keep in my desk at school, I will not be constantly swiping/texting girls on Tinder despite being back on.

I've recently been watching a lot of Andy's videos (an upside of watching too much Youtube last week), and it leads me to say:
Having a burner phone separate from my day phone is a positive result that came from being banned on Tinder before.
I'm glad I was, now.
But I'm glad I proved to myself I can set up an account after a ban. If I can do it once, I can do it again.

----------------------

Now to get back on the homework and try to "get ahead of the curve".

I want to develop the mindset of doing homework as soon as I can because I want to do my homework and enjoy working on it.

I want to stop this late-night hating-myself-grind.

I will make another post later when I've thought more about how to implement that.

Until then, I'll keep up the homework and the 365 project (I keep not mentioning the exact project here because it's not in the hidden-from-google chat, but perhaps I should shift my log to a new one in that area).
Goals: See this post
Skill-based 365 project
Laycount: 28 --- In 2023: 12 (as of May 03'23)
NightRoller
Name: Graham
Goal: Get Career Job, Move
Motto: Win and help win

Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:21 am

Making a new thread in the "not visible to google and nonmembers" section so I can be more specific on what I'm working on without worrying about doxxing myself. I may use this thread for other things in the future.

Here's a link:

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1911