Making a youtube

Adrizzle
Goal: Take Action

Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:23 pm

Hey wanted to make a thread for people to post their tips/tricks and advice for setting up YouTube.

Goals = lead gen
monetise it

I have questions like should I use a new different email?
Are there costs associated?
Hard branding on seperate topics or main any everything youtube?
How much do people spend on ads?

I have a few ideas videos
-me sitting at my desk, talking about how I made photo, settings, editing, thoughts etc. screen recording + voiceover + talking head. Easy to do and pump out.
-general photo YouTubers. Going to take x style of photos like a bts thing. Harder to do needs 2 people on shoot day
-motorbike riding videos, super hard to make atm cos my bike is out of action
-infotainment about Sydney. I know a bit of the buildings and history + I can get the b roll. Harder to make cos I need to do the research. I also feel like it’s a smaller audience.
-stupid comedy shit that might or might not land. Meme review, TOP 10 PHOTOGRAPHER RANKED, TOP 10 MOST POWERFUL BALD MEN

Link to a motorbike video. Love some feedback. I’m thinking of either doing a voiceover or music during the rides.

People that have done it before. Should I just make all my videos under a name? Or split the motorbike off. Or split the more commercial videos off? Im looking at YouTube more for lead gen, an online portfolio.

I’ve also been thinking about being private vlogs after watching a few from @Hard2Focus @Dewm and @MakingAComeback . You all got better at presenting over time.
Aspire2Greatness
Name: Thomas
Goal: Get laid
Motto: Discipline equals freedom

Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:56 pm

Following this thread. I've been wanting to maybe start doing tutorials related to music production/sound design or how I go about making abstract 3D stuff with only a handful of apps.

In terms of doing vlogs, I'd say go for it. Like you said you'll probably take some time to improve your overall presentation, what you talk about, how you act in front of the camera etc. Plus it helps in terms of staying accountable since, no matter what you did that day, you have to sit down and talk about it.

Also it feels like vlogging is making this whole self improvement-stuff 'more real' since you're putting your face and imperfections out there, and not mainly thinking about it (at least it's been like that for me).
My progress log
Aka: I quit my dream job of 10 years and moved to the big city

Main goal: sleep with 10 women within the end of the year 7/10.

Previous main goal: Move to a bigger city
Jobs applied for in total: 5
09/20/22: Job landed
Radical
Name: Cam
Goal: Funnel/Product Building
Motto: Take drastic action

Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:21 pm

Think Andy already gave you this advice but if you are going to be talking on camera start making those vids asap

You are going to be shit at it for a while.

I still have a lot to improve on my presenting style etc and it took me 365 days of talking head videos to get even half decent

I've set up two other channels professionally as well and both owners needed time in front the camera despite being experienced public speakers

Most of my costs have gone into the camera and mic set up so if you already have a decent DSLR and a mic you're not looking at massive extra cost
Adrizzle

Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:56 pm

Hard2Focus wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:56 pm
music production/sound design or how I go about making abstract 3D stuff with only a handful of apps.
Do it cunt!
What producers you follow on YouTube? I like compserily but that’s mostly infotainment. And synthhacker. I’d be keen on learn your 3D apps.
Radical wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:21 pm
I've set up two other channels professionally
What is involved with setting up channels? Getting the name/email/logo and branding basically?
Radical

Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:59 pm

Yeah set up a fresh google account

These companies both already had branding etc. I did the videography and I still manage one of them
Striker
Goal: Lose fat

Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:04 am

I did a fair bit of research before starting my channel and I think it cut out a decent amount of time where I might have been making truly terrible videos that had no chance of ever catching steam in the algorithm.

Definitely not a Youtube expert as I've only made 4 videos but one of them caught steam in the algorithm and has 550k views, still regularly getting views 8 months after uploading it (30k views in the last 48 hours) and got me to monetisation. Most of the views on the video were from before I was monetised but I've still earnt just over £2k in the 3 months I've been monetised and will probably make over £1k this month from that one video which is wild and shows the potential Youtube can have if you put yourself in a position to get lucky. Got Youtube on the backburner currently while I'm finishing Uni but after that I'm gonna start trying to grind and see if I can make something more from it.

Two things I'd recommend doing

1 - Go onto the subreddits /r/Newtubers and /r/Youtubers, sort the posts by top and change the time period to either all time or top posts from the last year (for more up to date information as Youtube changes a lot). There's a tonne of posts that help you to understand what is important on Youtube, what type of content Youtube likes and is likely to promote, the key metrics, small tips. If you're new to making vids you'll pick up some useful info.

2 - Watch videos from Youtubers you like in your niche and take notes on why you like the videos and aspects you can steal and incorporate into your videos whether it's the thumbnail style, titles, how they intro the video (do they use a hook), editing things they do that enhance the video. Adding just a few things that successful Youtubers do to your videos could be the difference between a video that randomly catches fire and a video that never has a chance.

My channel is sports documentary videos so I made notes on some documentary style videos I enjoyed and tried to take pieces of them to add to my videos
Screenshot 2022-01-05 at 02.50.31.png
---------------

Ultimately though because the earning potential on Youtube is pretty crazy if you can crack it on there it's an EXTREMELY saturated platform and you need a mixture of videos that are optimised almost perfectly for the algorithm combined with a bit of luck. You need to get 1000 subs and 4000 hours of watch time in a year before you're eligible to start making ad revenue which is a pretty tall hurdle so if you're going to make videos it's gotta be something you enjoy or you'll end up burning out.

If you can make videos with a high click-through rate (thumbnails and title are SO important) and high video watch time time % (Youtube wants engaging content that keeps people on the platform for longer) that seems to be the two metrics that can lead to Youtube pushing your channel.

Also, something that people swear by is that your channel must centre on one 'niche'. So the content ideas you listed that are quite different would probably be better on separate channels as someone who likes Motorbike videos would probably not be as interested in Sydney related videos. And the fact they watch motorbike videos but not your other videos would make it less likely for Youtube to recommend your channel (or so people say).

I might be experiencing this issue now kinda as my channel is sports documentaries rather than nailing down my niche to one specific sport. So while my UFC video blew tf my next video I made on an NFL player is not being pushed by Youtube despite over 55% average watch time on a 20 min vid and 7.4% click through rate meaning the thumbnail is performing well. Radical's channel is a good example of having a clear niche and I think it could be a matter of time before Youtube starts testing his channel by recommending it to more men interested in improving their fashion to see how the videos perform but you never know with Youtube it's so random.

So I'd say it's best to identify the niche you think has the most potential and focus on that even if results might not come immediately.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Radical

Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:02 am

Striker wrote:
Radical's channel is a good example of having a clear niche and I think it could be a matter of time before Youtube starts testing his channel by recommending it to more men interested in improving their fashion to see how the videos perform but you never know with Youtube it's so random.
So far its about finding topics i want to talk about that actually get traffic from search engine

If i started talking about hair loss and how to deal with it i would explode quickly for instance - as that hits the algo even if your content is bad

Andy set up a channel called Bald Man Dating a while ago and every vid easily broke 1k, most went beyond that

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7xU ... 5hdROERrCg

Neither of us want to centre content on that though, it attracts an odd crowd
Zug
Goal: Find a wife
Motto: Strength before weakness

Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:48 am

Radical wrote:
Striker wrote:
Radical's channel is a good example of having a clear niche and I think it could be a matter of time before Youtube starts testing his channel by recommending it to more men interested in improving their fashion to see how the videos perform but you never know with Youtube it's so random.
So far its about finding topics i want to talk about that actually get traffic from search engine

If i started talking about hair loss and how to deal with it i would explode quickly for instance - as that hits the algo even if your content is bad

Andy set up a channel called Bald Man Dating a while ago and every vid easily broke 1k, most went beyond that

Your guide was very helpful to me getting started. However, I don't feel like the pure talking head style works that well for style/fashion video content. When you're discussing X article of clothing, I think people want to see you personally wearing it in different style in both video and picture. You typically show great examples from instagram influencers. That is good and useful, but without you showing it off as well it doesn't carry enough weight. Understandably, it would be a gigantic increase in the amount of effort and $$$ cost the videos take, but it seems to me thats what it would take. You can probably make it work shifting more focus to budget friendly options. That demographic is bigger and it makes it financially easier if you're wearing H&M/Zara + Thursday boot company vs having to wear Tom Ford + Crockett and Jones.
Radical

Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:23 am

@Zug Talking about that price range is actually where the money is lol. Guys making affiliate money shilling designer shit that will give good payouts

Wellbuiltstyle, whos blog i admire fwiw, i saw him recommending $1k brasilia bags

I want to actually help young broke guys tho

What you recommend i have done before, and my style video course is entirely using myself as a model for the outfits. It is easier to pump out content just grabbing insta examples tho

I’ll consider using myself more where i can. Difficulty rn is im travelling with just a backpack full of clothes rather than my full home wardrobe
Crisis_Overcomer
Goal: Earn $5,000/month
Motto: Motion beats meditation

Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:05 am

Adriel wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:56 pm
I like compserily but that’s mostly infotainment.
That's where the money is, especially in the self-improvement niches. Dry how-to info rarely sells. Even when it does, it doesn't command high prices nor does it make people come back for more. Only exception I can think of is college.
Radical wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:23 am
I want to actually help young broke guys tho
Give it some time.

Eventually, you'll curse yourself for wanting this 🙃
Zug
Goal: Find a wife
Motto: Strength before weakness

Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:08 am

Just my 2c. I think there is a bigger market share in people with disposable income under 100k. Maybe the value per click is lower, but it should make up for it in volume. As far as the affiliate stuff goes, a lot of the style guys have turned into nonsense. Everything from Wellbuiltstyle is an ad now. I understand these guys are out to make money, but stuff like alpha.m shilling pills for erectile dysfunction is when they cross over into satire. When 90% of the videos are #SPONSORED its just too much filler and breaks the suspension of disbelief. I think StyleOG's format targeted towards a younger crowd would work well for you. The thing both you and Andy uniquely brought to light and focus on is the necessity of creating edge. That is something virtually no one else in the space is willing to talk about. Ditto no one talking about how going too smart is a blunder unless you're elite level sexually dimorphic/handsome/built.
MakingAComeback
Goal: 3k Per Month Post Tax
Motto: POSITIVE SELF TALK

Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:46 am

YOOOOOOO

Hey brothers, I've just started so will read your tips and soak it all up.

Let's see us get out first 1k subs on YouTube !!

MAC
-Your friend, Ravi

Consistent Performance Coach, Admin of WinnerWithin, and Seeker of Human Potential

My FB Group for Consistent Performance & Goal Achievement
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ironwilltribe
Dewm
Name: Brady
Goal: Love Myself
Motto: Fuck Bitches Get Money

Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:07 pm

Adriel wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:23 pm
I’ve also been thinking about being private vlogs after watching a few from @Hard2Focus @Dewm and @MakingAComeback . You all got better at presenting over time.
Oh thanks man, the vlogs were just meant to be here but I'd love to explore it more over time. Since everyone is throwing in their 2 cents about YouTube I found my style of YT was the hardest. Short comedy sketches. It is absolutely grueling to get people to subscribe to just a comedy channel. It's all gotta be under 15 seconds or over 3 hours long it feels like no inbetween. Also my stuff requires writing, shooting, editing, and just the general hurdle of producing eg; locations, actors, food, music, and literally anything and everything else. I put YT on the backburner as a sub goal to making my career more optimized but if I do go at it again my approach will be very different. People these days seem to latch on to the person more than the content thus I'd love to do more vlog style and podcast style videos but i love writing so I'll naturally keep making sketches - I feel if people know me from podcasts and vlogs then they're more curious to see the new thing I've created rather than the thing just being the only thing to draw them in.
Goals
Love Myself
  • Finish my screenplay and make that movie.
  • Produce a comedy show that makes me money
  • Lose weight and gain muscle
Striker
Goal: Lose fat

Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:54 am

Radical wrote:
Striker wrote:

Yeah targeting search views is a solid idea for sure, not something I have experience with personally.

I had no idea Andy had that channel nor would I expect it to have got the views it did, I guess I underestimated the bald guy niche haha. But I agree it's better to not focus on that niche as the potential of it compared to male fashion or self-improvement is vastly different.

Your channel is really solid man and it's obvious you've put in work to up your thumbnail game recently. One small thing I'd say is that for your viewer question videos I think the title is better if you have the actual topic/question first and then viewer question at the end of the title. Also you made a typo in your combat boots title.

Wouldn't be surprised if you start seeing a random uptick in views soon because you got the kind of channel where you watch one video then go on your channel page and watch a bunch more which Youtube supposedly loves.
Adrizzle

Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:15 pm

Thanks for the post @Striker , heaps of great info in here.

I will look into /r/Newtubers and /r/Youtubers.
Striker wrote:
So I'd say it's best to identify the niche you think has the most potential and focus on that even if results might not come immediately.
Seeing how Niche is important Ill keep things separate.

Channel 1 = photography/videography tips, with styling and vlogging things (my ego really hates this idea, but fuck i wanna make them dollars)
Channel 2= motorbike riding/sunset rider
Channel 3= Sydney scenes/places

I peeped the Scarcity Studios - Robbie Lawlor video - bro this is real low hanging fruit. Its a voice over story and then edited to fit around the voice over very low production cost, editing would be the cost. Are you editing everything yourself?
Radical wrote:
Bald Man Dating
hahaha this is good, Andy can i has the channel
Zug wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:08 am
StyleOG
StyleOGs videos are so terrible IMO, I can't believe this guy makes money on youtube basically taking to a camera and saying nothing. So fucking boring.
Seeing how god awful his videos are makes me want to start a style channel.
Dewm wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:07 pm
producing eg; locations, actors, food, music, and literally anything and everything else
Totally shooting actual scenes without breaking the fourth wall/taking to the camera is very hard. I've watched most of your comedy videos by the way, I'm all about the short comedy sketches. In u gotta do it, how u do the blood man? Also the everyday commercial was sick

Next steps im going to make notes on 1. DSLR video shooter 2. Pewdiepie 3. A motobike channel 4. Willem 5. Grainy Days. for reference,
Will setup channel 1 this week