Am I the only one selling options?

TheGreatTurk
Goal: Getting quality pussy

Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:53 pm

Hey guys, just wondering... Am I the only one selling options?

Depending on your risk aversion / hunger, you can make 1-5% per month on your start capital with this.

I am currently selling iron condors on SPY basically because it is very easy to follow, but gains are low as well, due to the lack of volatility.
GettinItAll
Goal: Monk Mode

Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:19 pm

TheGreatTurk wrote:

Depending on your risk aversion / hunger, you can make 1-5% per month on your start capital with this.

I am currently selling iron condors on SPY basically because it is very easy to follow, but gains are low as well, due to the lack of volatility.
Unless you are trading full-time, I do not recommend touching the stock market. Top hedge funds get burnt every year, and market returns even out. If this isn't something you're doing seriously then you WILL be beat out by the people doing it full-time. The people who typically make money in markets are those who have informational asymmetry or asymmetric pricing power. Pretty much that means you know stuff that other people are incapable of knowing or you are able to do things other people are incapable of doing. I've heard of the iron condor thing you are talking about and I don't think you'll be able to beat algorithmic traders at top hedge funds. Maybe you get lucky, but at the end of the day, I think its always something you want to leave to the professionals.

Source: I study finance
Goals:
- get a great full time job in venture capital
- succesful LGD cycle
- get 5 8+/10 girls on rotation through dating apps [0/5]
TheGreatTurk
Goal: Getting quality pussy

Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:55 am

You are entitled to your opinion, but I have been making these profits for the last 6 months on paper trading.

I think yours is a very conservative approach. I have made money from stocks and lost as well in the last decade. It was a break even for me.

Now to my question: is there anyone here selling options in real life?

No recommendations about not touching the stock market or so please.
klondike
Goal: Drop to 205lbs

Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:32 am

GettinItAll wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:19 pm
Source: I study finance
I write software for these so-called "top hedge funds" and see their positions everyday. No, they are absolute retards, no better than the degens on WallStreetBets. These aren't geniuses, they are frat bros who got their jobs due to nepotism. Most hedgies fail to beat indexes, and the ones that do are usually guilty of dishonest accounting techniques--such as failing to mark-to-market their PE positions, or not showing paper losses on bonds that have tanked. Right now these intellects are loading into ponzies like Wayfair and Carvana right when auto payments hit historic new highs.

You can easily beat the market studying fundamental value investing, as described in the book, "The Dhando Investor."

Anyway, I do write OTM calls to reduce the cost basis of my positions. You learn timing over a few years -- meaning it's best to only do it on pops. I am mostly in O&G and coal, so the vol works in my favor and my calls never get assigned. Click a few buttons to make a few hundred bucks, pretty fun.
Crisis_Overcomer
Goal: Earn $5,000/month
Motto: Motion beats meditation

Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:18 am

klondike wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:32 am
I am mostly in O&G and coal
Good call, I expect coal to do well thanks to the Inflation "Reduction" Act and the clean energy component.
Mitos
Name: Bjoern
Goal: Get a hot girlfriend
Motto: What is the worst thing that can happen ...

Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:25 am

TheGreatTurk wrote:
Hey, I sell options too. I buy quality stocks and also sell options on them. Short Puts, Short Calls, Bull Put Spreads and Bear Call Spreads. Never did a Iron Condor. I keep it pretty basic. I invest about 1-3 hours of time a week.
Goals 2022:
- Find a hot girlfriend
- 80kg athletic build with sixpack
- make 10k with own business (done)