YouTube as a side hustle

JamalHash123
Goal: Get to $1k ecomm income

Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:44 am

Hey, I'm looking at diversifying my income. I'm in finance right now but I feel like I'll never get rich rich rich (5 mil assets by 35-40 at least) working a job.

I'm thinking about doing YouTube as a side hustle. Specifically, starting a YouTube on men's fashion, because I spend a ton of time thinking about fashion so I might as well try to monetize this hobby. I'm aware that I'm likely top 5% at least in breaking down fashion/outfits - I regularly see other fashion YouTubers and think "your knowledge is shit, I'm better".

I don't see any downsides in doing this other than snickers from acquaintances (irrelevant). Don't think this will hurt my political standing in my firm (who can hate on a guy making fashion videos for fun, especially if it's not overtly monetized? - especially since it's not about something like dating/Tinder. Gonna steer far away from those topics and stick to menswear only).

The obvious answer is "just do it for ~10 videos, and then see what your engagement is like - by then, if you're good/have natural talent in this, you'll know - if you're not good know, you'll also know", but any thoughts?

Best path to monetizing this would be sponsorships/ads and then eventually starting my own brand. But I'm doing this mostly because I spend so much time and energy buying/thinking about clothes that it seems like a waste not to try and build a brand/presence off of it.

Very aware that I should just fucking do it and see what the results are and stop thinking so much.

Thanks.
SIGMA_1234
Goal: Digital Nomad Income
Motto: Action > Perfection

Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:14 pm

JamalHash123 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:44 am
I spend so much time and energy buying/thinking about clothes that it seems like a waste not to try and build a brand/presence off of it.
Well, there you go. Go for it!

I was in a similar position for a year. This forum basically pushed me to start my side hustle, too.
Aspiring Digital Nomad

Follow my lifestyle journey log

Fitness:
-) Cut to 56 kg, then bulk after

Sex Enhancement:
-) Bathmate & Kegels

Learning goals:
-) 10 books
-) more note-taking & reviewing of past materials

^^Lifestyle habit tracker can be monitored here.

Learning Chinese Mandarin:
-) Mandarin 365 Project, monitor here.

Follow my business journey log

$ Goals:
-) US$3k/ mo nomad income
-) US$10k/ mo nomad income
DNPTHC
Goal: Get Laid Again
Motto: Just Try

Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:42 pm

@JamalHash123

I did it while in college. It supported me during that time. (I need to get off my ass and start rebuilding it)

Just be aware... It will/ may take a while before any decent income starts to come in since you're not selling a service and the market is super saturated..

well, actually you could do fashion consults and charge for that...

Just think about it in these terms... Who's my audience, what's my offer and how will I monetize it.
JamalHash123
Goal: Get to $1k ecomm income

Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:51 pm

Thanks @DNPTHC , know you have tons of experience in this field.
SIGMA_1234

Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:25 am

Speaking of side hustle, @JamalHash123 any progress?
Aspiring Digital Nomad

Fitness:

Sex Enhancement:
-) Bathmate & Kegels

Learning goals:
-) 10 books

$ Goals:
Crisis_Overcomer
Goal: Earn $5,000/month
Motto: Motion beats meditation

Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:45 am

KillYourInnerLoser wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:34 am
LAKE wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:57 am
Youtube is oversaturated
Got proof? If I had a dollar for every person who told me "Dude, self-help and dating advice is a saturated industry, don't start a blog" I'd be a billionaire.
I'll add another spin here: Youtube being saturated is a good thing. This shows people are interested in it.

This is double important for industries like self-help and dating. This shows that people are not just interested in it, but they're also buying stuff.

Personally, I'd be really worried if I discovered an untapped niche. You mean to tell me that the biggest minds in marketing (with unlimited budgets and resources) aren't tapping into it? And you somehow were forward thinking enough to discover it? Nah. You're probably gonna waste your time.

A better idea is to find a niche where people are already buying but they are treated wrong. For example, that's what separates Andy in dating - the dude is often more invested in your success than you are yourself.

Is your industry full of people selling cheap e-books, hiding behind a screen and never showing their face? Then there's definitely potential into the human touch, doing coaching, speaking with them on the phone, etc (and you can charge way more and need way less clients this way).

tl;dr people worried about a niche being saturated are lazy mofos who should stick to their 9-5.
SIGMA_1234

Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:08 am

Crisis_Overcomer wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:45 am
Personally, I'd be really worried if I discovered an untapped niche. You mean to tell me that the biggest minds in marketing (with unlimited budgets and resources) aren't tapping into it? And you somehow were forward thinking enough to discover it? Nah. You're probably gonna waste your time.

A better idea is to find a niche where people are already buying but they are treated wrong. For example, that's what separates Andy in dating - the dude is often more invested in your success than you are yourself.
I'd like to add to this: if anyone is worried if anything is oversaturated, just know I followed waay more dating gurus and subreddits mentally masturbating myself without taking any action and results before I hopped into this forum, to be blasted by Andy's proof page. Who else has even posted a pic of his dick with a girl when showcasing proof?? No BS, clear results as bright as the day. With the human touch and a supportive community to boot.

Andy targets a different segment than everyone else in an oversaturated niche. Didn't follow anyone else ever since.
Aspiring Digital Nomad

Fitness:

Sex Enhancement:
-) Bathmate & Kegels

Learning goals:
-) 10 books

$ Goals: