Weird Free testosterone results. Bloodwork included. help needed.

Disclaimer: I absolutely DO NOT advocate for you doing anything that's against the law, including illicit drug use. Everything here is for educational and entertainment purposes ONLY.
oddish
Name: Jeroen
Goal: Achieve freedom

Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:45 pm

testosterone.png
Got my bloodwork done at an independent lab. Just loads of general stuff and a small hormone panel. In hindsight should have gotten alot more. I mainly wanted to do it because I have all the signs off low-t. (depression, low libido, sleep deprivation, little to no muscles gaines even though I have been working out semi-regularly for 3 years, generally weak AF) and wanted to be sure.

32 y.o., 65 kg (143 pounds), 175cm (5'9)

Everything came back normal in the regular ranges. But when I saw my testosterone results I nearly fell off my chair.

It seems my total T is higher then the reference range 31.4 nmol/l (900+ ng/dl) so at first glance I was ecstatic. I just needed to put in more work, and I tought the weakness and general lethargy must have been a consequence of the depression.

Now here's the confusion. The results state that my Free T is at 95.1 pmol/l . Now the reference range form the lab is between 30 and 75. Which would mean my free T is also high. Now when I look up the ranges for free T online in pmol/l in my age range I find that the ranges are 200-750 pmol/l for free T. This concerned me, so I researched some more. I found that a healthy free T should be around 1-2% of your total T. Now if I calculated this correctly 95.1 pmol/l = 0.0951 nmol/l which would mean my free T is a measly 0.3% of my total T.

Now the differences from the lab ranges and the stuff I found online are so big I wanted to consult with you guys first before booking an appointment with my doctor, just in case there is something really obvious I missed. Since I have a lot of the symptoms of hypogonadism, it just seems off to me that I have high natural test levels.

All help appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AmericanAndy
Goal: Relationship,Threesomes

Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:25 pm

Get a thyroid panel and also check levels for vitamin D. Thyroid levels are a common cause of being tired or depressed. I've had the same problem and take a high potency iodine and it seems to help. D levels can also affect depression. There are supplements out there to increase free testosterone and lower estrogen like Androstdienone.
Greenranger
Goal: Get Laid
Motto: compare yourself to the person you were yesterday

Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:46 pm

are you taking any medications at the moment, like finasteride

also check for estrogen levels they might be elevated too
oddish

Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:23 pm

thx guys.

Got new bloodwork done at my doc. will update thread If I get it back.
oddish

Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:17 pm

Got a quick update on this. apparantly my prolactin levels are off (25% higher then the upper range).
Which would explain the low libido and ED.
There could be several causes for this. Going to research further with doctor.

Edit: my test and free test are indeed above the normal range. yay me. oestradiol is normal. thyroid function normal but on the lower side of the range.
That One Guy
Goal: Digital Nomad

Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:41 pm

Sounds like your doctor is on top of it. Retest the prolactin lab to verify levels. Check for a prolactin secreting tumor.

Overall looks like you're pretty "normal". I'd focus on mental therapy, tackling your depression, improving your sleep habits. Better discipline. Improve your diet, and seek a fitness trainer to refine your regimen and technique.