sony a7 iii camera

Books, podcasts, YouTube vids and movies.
brohankwon
Name: Yohan
Goal: 2-3 plates

Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:20 pm

(Sorry, I wasn't sure where else to post this, but...)

I was recommended to take a look at the Sony A7 iii, primarily to record better-quality Instagram Reels for my piano & comedy.

But would it also work for taking great photos too? I assume so, especially since I am currently using an A6000.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Lusty69
Goal: Lose fat
Motto: Never give up

Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:39 pm

brohankwon wrote:

I was recommended to take a look at the Sony A7 iii, primarily to record better-quality Instagram Reels for my piano & comedy.

But would it also work for taking great photos too? I assume so, especially since I am currently using an A6000.

A7 iii is full frame you will need full frame lens too so costs go up, it is more professional for having multi card slots, really great for lower light photography. As it is larger it also has better heat management for longer videos.

If it is simply for reels, note that all reels get reduced to 1080p, if you want high-performance video which is lower cost, lower cost lens' better weight for handheld and travelling then I would look into what I use which is the Sony A6700 it is a powerhouse for video, VLOGs and does 4k at 120FPS which the A7 iii does not, this is great for B-roll footage in high speed or if you want to slow motion things. It also takes excellent photos but it won't be as high res and your low light will be slightly worse off.

If you have Crop lens' for your a6000 I would highly suggest looking into just upgrading the body to the a6700 it has the new AI chip and so many amazing features, I have taught it my face so it focuses on me only when I vlog in a crowd of people.

Also note if you are recording your Piano and Comedy to get better quality you will get better bang for your buck with a better lighting set up, one thing which I need to work on but what also makes a bigger impact than the camera is lighting set up.
Lays: 81
Less Fat but still need to lose weight
Log: viewtopic.php?t=2042
Adrizzle
Goal: Take Action

Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:32 am

Co signing @Lusty69 comment (as a former owner of A7iii, 6400, 6600)
september
Name: Loki
Goal: master game
Motto: wagmi

Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:34 am

brohankwon wrote:
I would recommend against getting a full on DSLR for dating photos for five reasons:

- you'll take a bunch of good pics of your friends because you're the one with the camera. they won't be taking good pics of you. time/effort wise it's better to pay for a photoshoot or befriend guys who have cameras.
- dslr photos are falling out of favor and being seen as more tryhard on dating apps. being replaced with "candid" iphone pics and 2000s era digital cameras and polaroids. this is mostly affecting the younger crowd atm in bigger cities but it's moving up in age range and outwards to less populated areas
- phone cameras have gotten better and better at matching dslr quality + subtly adding ai fuckery that makes your face looks good
- taking live photos with an iphone provides opportunities to stitch them together into a video for hinge, or have a 1 second loop for tinder, which comes off more candid, can show more expressiveness, and is more authentic for girls wary of photos being faceapped
- you(r friends) are more likely to carry a phone around and whip it out for spontaneous photoshoots than lugging a dslr around

I personally had a dslr for a year before selling it. No comment on using it for other stuff like piano and whatever, I'm just commenting on the dating aspects
0/10000 lays, 582.94 underage approaches, 8 seconds nofap, 929 day streak complaining + no action
schizoposting log
schizo voice notes telegram channel
best value photoshoot in north america
brohankwon
Name: Yohan
Goal: 2-3 plates

Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:19 am

Lusty69 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:39 pm
brohankwon wrote:

A7 iii is full frame you will need full frame lens too so costs go up, it is more professional for having multi card slots, really great for lower light photography. As it is larger it also has better heat management for longer videos.

If it is simply for reels, note that all reels get reduced to 1080p, if you want high-performance video which is lower cost, lower cost lens' better weight for handheld and travelling then I would look into what I use which is the Sony A6700 it is a powerhouse for video, VLOGs and does 4k at 120FPS which the A7 iii does not, this is great for B-roll footage in high speed or if you want to slow motion things. It also takes excellent photos but it won't be as high res and your low light will be slightly worse off.

If you have Crop lens' for your a6000 I would highly suggest looking into just upgrading the body to the a6700 it has the new AI chip and so many amazing features, I have taught it my face so it focuses on me only when I vlog in a crowd of people.

Also note if you are recording your Piano and Comedy to get better quality you will get better bang for your buck with a better lighting set up, one thing which I need to work on but what also makes a bigger impact than the camera is lighting set up.
Do you have examples of videos taken from your A6700? I'd be curious how it compares to Canon Vixia HF R800 (actually my main video camera for piano & comedy)

And what kind of lens would be suggsted, if I were to get the a6700?

Thanks! :)
Lord Rey
Name: Nicolas
Goal: Make serious money

Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:48 am

september wrote:
you'll take a bunch of good pics of your friends because you're the one with the camera. they won't be taking good pics of you. time/effort wise it's better to pay for a photoshoot or befriend guys who have cameras.
This is totally true. The guy with the camera ends up with the worst pics of the group because the effort he puts in shooting nice pics for his friends is rarely (if not never) reciprocated. Yeah... I was that guy.
september wrote:
- dslr photos are falling out of favor and being seen as more tryhard on dating apps. being replaced with "candid" iphone pics and 2000s era digital cameras and polaroids. this is mostly affecting the younger crowd atm in bigger cities but it's moving up in age range and outwards to less populated areas
Any source/data supporting this claim? A high quality pic is a high quality pic. I don't see how girls could think "Yuck this guy put too much effort into his pics, what a fucking beta loser" lmao.
september wrote:
- phone cameras have gotten better and better at matching dslr quality + subtly adding ai fuckery that makes your face looks good
It's really hit and miss for the quality (and in low light phones are still getting destroyed by bigger cameras), besides you can still add the AI fuckery to DSLR pics.
september wrote:
- taking live photos with an iphone provides opportunities to stitch them together into a video for hinge, or have a 1 second loop for tinder, which comes off more candid, can show more expressiveness, and is more authentic for girls wary of photos being faceapped
Yeah I agree with you about loops. They're great and still underused, so just having 1 or 2 in a profile can give you an extra edge. I currently have 3 of them in my profile, I use them as social proof (me + friends and other girls).

-------------------------------

@brohankwon The Sony A6700 is one of the best cameras on the market for videos, and still a very solid option for photos. It totally destroys your old Canon camcorder... it's not even a fair comparison. About lenses, it depends what lens do you already own for your A6000? I'd say a good 24-70 zoom lens is a great start, or a good 50mm prime lens... but depends on your needs and on what you currently have.
Lusty69
Goal: Lose fat
Motto: Never give up

Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:21 am

brohankwon wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:19 am

Do you have examples of videos taken from your A6700? I'd be curious how it compares to Canon Vixia HF R800 (actually my main video camera for piano & comedy)

And what kind of lens would be suggsted, if I were to get the a6700?

Thanks! :)
So I use like just the standard baked in 8 bit profile on my a6700 note it can shoot in Slog3 but you need to colour grade. here is a video uploaded to my IG after IG downscaled it and everything https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5hvMyBvD0Q/

I use an 11mm F/1.8 for handheld vlog type stuff and a Sigma 18-50mm F/2.8 as it is small and light great quality, affordable and excellent for travelling, I actually use this lens the most now for my other shooting unless I need to be close up to camera as the adjustment is really good to just move the lens in or out rather than moving my whole set up. Also more flexible for photography and still very good low light performance being F/2.8 through the whole range.
Lays: 81
Less Fat but still need to lose weight
Log: viewtopic.php?t=2042