Ed’s 365 Gym Project - Back on track!

The main purpose of this forum; tell us what goals you're working on.
AnemicBruh
Goal: Find a purpose

Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:51 pm

IMO you definitely need to have performance/strength goals in the gym even if you're only after aesthetics e.g. hitting X weight for 8-12 reps in a specific lift.
To quote More Plates More Dates:
While you do see a lot of pros in training videos online doing relatively light weight for their size, this is typically because they have already reached their desired size and are trying to bring up lagging body parts and remain uninjured.

You have to understand that a bodybuilder's source of income is their physique, so remaining injury free and maximizing their longevity in the sport is hugely important.

I guarantee during their rise to their pro cards though when the majority of their muscle was packed on, these guys were all trying to beat their strength numbers in the gym each week and continuously get stronger on each movement.

If you don’t try and get stronger, you won’t give your muscle a reason to adapt and grow.

Progressive overload is your ticket to giving your body the stimulus it needs to adapt and be forced to grow to accommodate that additional work load.

If this additional workload isn't exerted upon your body and you use the same weight for years on end, your progress will stagnate and plateau entirely at some point.

If you don't enjoy lifting, just find some other physical activity, train it with a good level of intensity(e.g muay thai, rock climbing, calisthenics, ...) and eat right. Looking athletic is more than enough to get girls.
Thebastard
Goal: ....
Motto: ....

Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:54 pm

Damn man I'm sorry to hear about what happened!!! Nothing quite as shitty as injuries. I probably guaranteed I will be in a wheelchair when I'm 70, all because of (mostly) squatting injuries.

Do what you can to avoid injuries as best as you can from now on. You feel any 'bad' pains then stop immediately.

Take it easy bro. We are all hear for you and rooting for your success!
For my free 2016-2017 Golden Eagle Project pdf with commentary, PM me

2023 Goals
Sort my shit out
Ed_
Goal: Get Laid

Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:16 am

Big update here: The past few weeks have gone very well at the gym -- no significant issues with lifting, pain, injuries, diet, or morale.

I’ve made a couple changes:
  • Lowered the weights that I’m lifting and increased the rep range to 16 to 20 reps for each set. This is probably the biggest difference. I think high weights was causing most of my injury issues.
  • Minor exercise replacements: Hack squat and leg press instead of deadlifts, front raises instead of overhead press, etc.
  • Reduced carb intake on non-workout days, while keeping protein high. I feel better, less bloated, and it’s easier to reduce my calories. Also meal prep is way easier (just grill some burgers or Instant Pot some chicken).
  • I’m working out with my trainer at least twice a week. This is giving me much better feedback and faster addressing any lifting issues I have -- instead of just texting my trainer after a bad workout. It kinda feels like I’m “throwing money at the problem” (about $100 a week for all this help), but I can afford it and it’s getting me the results I’m looking for.
  • It’s taken some work, but I think I have my trainer on my side. He really knows his stuff and I think the issues with him recommending the wrong stuff (too complicated routines, diet, etc) were just growing pains as he got to know me.
Current Goals:
✅ Lose virginity
✅ Have sex with the same girl a second time
✅ Overcome AA
✅ Get to 135 lbs with 10% bodyfat
✅ Have ongoing sex (fuck buddy) with a really hot girl
⚪ Find a hot girl and focus on having really high quality sex
⚪ Have a relaxed, carefree, youthful, open minded, ongoing relationship with a hot girl
⚪ Get to 140 lbs with 10% bodyfat

📸 Avatar credit to Bman

My log and Tinder photos thread
enjoyablehat
Name: George
Motto: Consistency is key

Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:06 am

AnemicBruh wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:51 pm
IMO you definitely need to have performance/strength goals in the gym even if you're only after aesthetics e.g. hitting X weight for 8-12 reps in a specific lift.
this times 10 - building muscle requires more stress and progressive overload over time. You don't have ramp up insanely fast, but over time always be increasing the weights. You always have to stress the muscle and when it adapts to a given weight or reps it will stop adapting until you push it again
Current Goals:
Get a new job
Fix Sleep
Stay consistent with eating and improve health habits
enjoyablehat
Name: George
Motto: Consistency is key

Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:08 am

Ed_ wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:16 am
Big update here: The past few weeks have gone very well at the gym -- no significant issues with lifting, pain, injuries, diet, or morale.

I’ve made a couple changes:
  • Lowered the weights that I’m lifting and increased the rep range to 16 to 20 reps for each set. This is probably the biggest difference. I think high weights was causing most of my injury issues.
  • Minor exercise replacements: Hack squat and leg press instead of deadlifts, front raises instead of overhead press, etc.
  • Reduced carb intake on non-workout days, while keeping protein high. I feel better, less bloated, and it’s easier to reduce my calories. Also meal prep is way easier (just grill some burgers or Instant Pot some chicken).
  • I’m working out with my trainer at least twice a week. This is giving me much better feedback and faster addressing any lifting issues I have -- instead of just texting my trainer after a bad workout. It kinda feels like I’m “throwing money at the problem” (about $100 a week for all this help), but I can afford it and it’s getting me the results I’m looking for.
  • It’s taken some work, but I think I have my trainer on my side. He really knows his stuff and I think the issues with him recommending the wrong stuff (too complicated routines, diet, etc) were just growing pains as he got to know me.
I like the changes. I was always a fan of high weight (I just love lifting), but 16-20 and overtime increasing weights is absolutely fine. I WOULD try to find some exercises that click a little better with your body to do some lower reps higher weights if possible - it is just another type of stimulus that can make you more efficient at using those muscles
Current Goals:
Get a new job
Fix Sleep
Stay consistent with eating and improve health habits
RogerRoger
Goal: $$$$$
Motto: Keep Moving Forward

Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:42 am

It's funny how different we all are - for weighted exercises like squat I have way more problems with high volume. Also deadlift works great for me and squat is what I'm finally starting to get to do pain free.

Anyway, awesome you found what works for you.
nipple-flip
Name: Chris
Goal: self-actualize
Motto: do your best every day

Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:23 pm

while we're here (and since you've talked about having to remove overhead press), i want to suggest trying out a swiss bar for pressing movements. I was unable to press for the last 11 weeks of 2020 because of shoulder issues, but in 2021 with a swiss bar I have had no issue pressing 5x/week. it's really rejuvenated my training in a huge way, which has had knock-on effects for my mental health.

if your gym doesn't have one, you might want to join a gym that has one. you can try it out for the price of a drop-in session (usually $5 or free as far as I've seen).

being able to press is probably just as good a use of your money as regularly corresponding with a trainer
29M

regular processes
- track sleep, calories, and protein
- lift weights
- solve medium/hard leetcode problems
- journal

less-regular processes
- complete two "grokking" courses
- read and take notes on DDIA

outcomes
- qualify for USAPL open nationals at 75kg (current bodyweight 151, S/B/D: 353/203/462)
Ed_

Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:10 pm

enjoyablehat wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:08 am
I WOULD try to find some exercises that click a little better with your body to do some lower reps higher weights if possible - it is just another type of stimulus that can make you more efficient at using those muscles
I do heavier weights and lower reps when I'm doing sessions with my trainer and have his feedback and support. That's been working out.
nipple-flip wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:23 pm
i want to suggest trying out a swiss bar for pressing movement
I've been using a Kabuki Kadillac Bar, or sometimes a bent bar, when doing bench press. That's been working out really well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current Goals:
✅ Lose virginity
✅ Have sex with the same girl a second time
✅ Overcome AA
✅ Get to 135 lbs with 10% bodyfat
✅ Have ongoing sex (fuck buddy) with a really hot girl
⚪ Find a hot girl and focus on having really high quality sex
⚪ Have a relaxed, carefree, youthful, open minded, ongoing relationship with a hot girl
⚪ Get to 140 lbs with 10% bodyfat

📸 Avatar credit to Bman

My log and Tinder photos thread