Rate my Pics

thegreatroast
Goal: Get 6 great pics

Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:42 am

Hey guys,

Back again after a while. I mainly use Hinge, because I've never really had much success with Tinder. To be fair, my pics have always been kind of so-so, so I've been working on getting 6 great pics. I was hoping to get some feedback on the 6 current pics I'm running as well as some other pics I'll have available for viewing in a Google Drive folder that anyone can see without needing to login their Google account.

I'm still trying to figure out whether smiling is the move or not. Stuff like this https://www.gwern.net/docs/psychology/o ... tures.html and this https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21604870/ make me think I should not be smiling in the majority of my pictures, but I wanted to hear your thoughts. Also not sure if I should include a pic with

Regarding the pics themselves, most of them are already cropped to look as they would appear on the app. A majority of of them are a year or two old, but I've only gotten in far better shape since then and I still have the same hairstyle (which I'm currently planning on keeping, but that could always change). I've run a lot of them through Photofeeler, but I feel like that site can be a bit iffy, especially regarding smiling vs not smiling. Maybe I'm wrong on that, so feel free to correct me.

I know Pic #4 looks terrible, but it was taken during noon and the sun washed out all my features. Surprisingly, it still does well and led to a boost in matches for me. I'm debating putting it as my main pic (Pic #1 again, since it scored higher on Photofeeler by a good amount. I'm not sure though and I was hoping for help deciding that. I stopped the voting early for Pic #2 on Photofeeler (6 votes), but it seemed that the girls on Photofeeler weren't a fan of group photos. Out of 3 comments, 2 of them mentioned that I should be alone in the photo (remember, there were only 6 votes total).

I also anticipate someone mentioning my clothing choices, so I figured I should clear the air now. A large part of why you see me in mainly tanks in these pictures is because I live in a very hot + humid area and I have a medical issue that causes heat intolerance. The pictures where I don't have a tank on were a result of me trying to work in some variety in clothing into my pics, even if I don't actually wear t-shirts or jackets often in my daily life. So any clothing comments are totally valid criticism, but I figured I should explain why I'm in tanks in nearly every clothed picture. I have some other pics in shirts and jackets, but a lot of them suck.

Finally, I'm not sure if my pics look natural enough. A lot of them are clearly posed for the camera and I'm not sure if that's an issue or not. Sorry for the wall of text :lol:

PICS IN LINK BELOW (NO GOOGLE SIGN-IN NEEDED):
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Thanks!
pancakemouse
Goal: Master cold approach

Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:56 am

It's insane how much you look like one of my wings here in NYC who is one of the top slayers in town. If you ever come to Brooklyn, you would kill it there.

So, I think your main issue is that your photos make you look like a quirky/nice guy, when by your archetype, girls are expecting you to be a fuckboy. It's dichotomous, and you may get the more interesting chicks, but you are not getting the polarizing mass appeal needed for success on Tinder.

Example, something like this:
https://www.playingfire.com/wp-content/ ... 85x300.jpg

I definitely do not think you should be smiling in any of your photos, but your non-smiling poses are not good either. You should learn to squinch + scowl.
thegreatroast

Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:21 am

pancakemouse wrote:
It's insane how much you look like one of my wings here in NYC who is one of the top slayers in town. If you ever come to Brooklyn, you would kill it there.
Ayy, that's awesome to hear. That gives me some hope that maybe one day I'll be able to put it all together and start getting consistently good results. Unfortunately, I still have to get around to cold approaching and IRL game in general, but it's nice to know that my looks aren't the issue. It makes the problem feel much more solvable. I kept trying to improve my profile and wasn't getting (still not) the results I wanted, so I figured after a certain point it could be looks related. I personally don't think I'm a bad looking dude or anything, and I'm aware that I'm in better shape than 90-something percent of dudes, but when you're not getting the results you expect, you start to have a little nagging doubt.
pancakemouse wrote:
So, I think your main issue is that your photos make you look like a quirky/nice guy, when by your archetype, girls are expecting you to be a fuckboy. It's dichotomous, and you may get the more interesting chicks, but you are not getting the polarizing mass appeal needed for success on Tinder.

Example, something like this:
https://www.playingfire.com/wp-content/ ... 85x300.jpg

I definitely do not think you should be smiling in any of your photos, but your non-smiling poses are not good either. You should learn to squinch + scowl.
Huh, I never even considered that. Honestly, I figured my pics came off as arrogant/douchey since I'm in a shirt or tank for basically all of them. I guess the smiling does make me look like a nice guy though. My question now is how do I pull off that polarizing mass appeal look? That profile you sent definitely comes across as more serious, but it feels like his profile is even more narrow than mine. He's shirtless in one pic and seems to be at the gym in two of the other pics. It makes him come across as a dude who lives in the gym. Do you have any other examples of pics I could take to create a profile that appeals to the masses? If you happen to have any more picture examples, please post them. Any guides for the squinch + scowl that you recommend?

For now do you think my current 6 pics are fine, or should I change the order/swap any out? I figured I'd have to take more pictures, but it kinda sucks cause I figured I was close to having a "complete" profile. Finally, your buddy wouldn't happen to have a profile you could share, would he? Even if his face is blurred/cropped out, it'd still be useful to draw from someone who has a better profile.

Thank you for the help!
thegreatroast

Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:33 am

Don't see anything in the rules regarding bumping our threads, so bump.