First time Dating app user

User avatar
Brother_Tucker
Posts: 38 | Thanks: 22
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:17 pm
Goal: Live for myself
Age: 33
Motto: Be OK being the bad guy in someone else's story.

Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:58 pm

Hi all,

I am completely new to all this and intend to start as the lockdown restrictions end in the UK. I have been working on taking new photo's however I always feel goofy in photos where I am smiling. Any tips to help this feel more natural when the photo is taken are welcomed.

I have looked at the example accounts on the guide and found a few more to use as a reference. I tried some of these on Photofeeler and seem to consistently hit a 6 across the 3 metrics for dating photos over 30-40 votes. I would like to get that number up and some advice for that would be greatly appreciated.

I will keep updating these each weekend when I have time to go out and take photos.

Here are my current pictures: -

[/attachment]
2020-11-24 12_20_02.559+0000.jpg
IMG_20201117_110335_104.jpg
20200709_131806.jpg[attachment=4]2020-11-22 17_10_41.992+0000.jpg
2020-11-22 13_54_42.122+0000.jpg
Pink 2.png
2020-11-22 08_46_00.459+0000.jpg
2020-11-22 17_10_41.992+0000.jpg

I want to get better at being photographed before I go all in on a proper DLSR camera, I do understand that this will be a necessary step in the long run.

For the reel, I have the group, the pet, me doing something (for a past job) and some solo images. I am missing a more action shot but with COVID group activities are kind of limited at this point (I will fix this as soon as I am able).

Thank you in advanced, please be as brutally honest as possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Excuses
Posts: 136 | Thanks: 22
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:22 pm
Goal: Get in shape
Age: 26
Motto: No excuses. Just fucking do it.

Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:13 pm

Hey mate.

You have a nice body, but its wasted for a picture where you're posing on your balcony. Most pics are at home or look low effort. You should change locations and always try to have a nice background. The pictures are not bad, but they are pretty average. The problem with average is, that its simply not enough for tinder. That's a shame, because you look like a really cool guy. Make new pictures. The first one looks the most professional, but your pose is a bit "too much", like it would be good for insta, but on tinder it has imo not the right touch to it. Quality of your pics is really bad, but I guess you know that. The Konami Pic could be used because it's something unique, but what are you doing there? If I was a girl I would ask myself "Is this guy a host of this show? Or is this just a nerd on some weird geek convention?" If you're the host, mention it in your bio somewhere, that you're hosting shows.
I mean your pics still look better than most of the guys on tinder, but it's still not enough to get into the 20% of men where the real game is going on. Try some new locations, different angles. Get some inspiration on andys guide. You've got this!
User avatar
Brother_Tucker
Posts: 38 | Thanks: 22
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:17 pm
Goal: Live for myself
Age: 33
Motto: Be OK being the bad guy in someone else's story.

Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:52 pm

Excuses wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:13 pm
Hey mate.

You have a nice body, but its wasted for a picture where you're posing on your balcony. Most pics are at home or look low effort. You should change locations and always try to have a nice background. The pictures are not bad, but they are pretty average. The problem with average is, that its simply not enough for tinder. That's a shame, because you look like a really cool guy. Make new pictures. The first one looks the most professional, but your pose is a bit "too much", like it would be good for insta, but on tinder it has imo not the right touch to it. Quality of your pics is really bad, but I guess you know that. The Konami Pic could be used because it's something unique, but what are you doing there? If I was a girl I would ask myself "Is this guy a host of this show? Or is this just a nerd on some weird geek convention?" If you're the host, mention it in your bio somewhere, that you're hosting shows.
I mean your pics still look better than most of the guys on tinder, but it's still not enough to get into the 20% of men where the real game is going on. Try some new locations, different angles. Get some inspiration on andys guide. You've got this!
Your absolutely right, average is the best word for most of those photos and that's what I want to improve.

As you pointed out, the only 1 of those photos that scored over an 8 for attractiveness on Photofeeler was the first (8.1 over 30 votes). I will keep updating these as I get new ones and I will eventually get there with it. I agree on the body shot, I was going for lazy weekend morning vibes. I agree I can do better here.

To answer your question, yes, I used to host events for Konami on their live stream. The issue is that 2020 had no events and I also lost a ton of weight and put on some muscle, so I think using anything older wouldn't help me. Something I am lacking is showing off a hobby or activity I do, I am actively looking for something beyond gaming that looks better for photos. I will hopefully get this sorted after lockdown ends.

My goal is to definitely get my profile into the top 20%, I agree with you that average isn't good enough and I want to keep pushing. I am currently using a phone to take my photos, I wanted to get started right away and improve at how I look in photos before dropping the cash on a proper camera and lense. That is something I will do in the near future.

I took some more today, this weekends goal was to get more comfortable with smiling and getting beyond goofy. Here are 3 more I took today (these were the ones I liked from over 100) : -
2020-11-28 B.jpg
2020-11-28 A.jpg
2020-11-28 Dog.jpg
I have more from today that I thought were good, but I wasn't really smiling and I want to challenge myself to feel comfortable doing it.

Thank you for your thoughts so far, this is a big help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Radical
Posts: 1055 | Thanks: 614
Joined: Sat May 30, 2020 12:02 pm
Goal: Build Blog
Age: 27
Motto: Take drastic action
Contact:

Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:56 pm

I quite like the 1st one, looks natural enough

Try to mix up outfits when you do variety shots like the dog one

Its a pain in the arse if you get a good shot but you realise you are wearing the same shit in all your photos
Headwear and style website: https://www.thehatfish.com *

*I have written a Men's Style Guide for Beginners which you can grab on my website. It will get you looking like a guy that gets laid in one instructed shopping spree
User avatar
Brother_Tucker
Posts: 38 | Thanks: 22
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:17 pm
Goal: Live for myself
Age: 33
Motto: Be OK being the bad guy in someone else's story.

Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:58 pm

Radical wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:56 pm
I quite like the 1st one, looks natural enough

Try to mix up outfits when you do variety shots like the dog one

Its a pain in the arse if you get a good shot but you realise you are wearing the same shit in all your photos
Actually yes this happened today, I wasn't planning to be near that dog today, I actually did so after the shoot and just took the opportunity. It might actually be worth taking a change of cloths to a shoot just incase a natural opportunity comes up later.
User avatar
Excuses
Posts: 136 | Thanks: 22
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:22 pm
Goal: Get in shape
Age: 26
Motto: No excuses. Just fucking do it.

Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:48 pm

Brother_Tucker wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:52 pm
Excuses wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:13 pm
Hey mate.

You have a nice body, but its wasted for a picture where you're posing on your balcony. Most pics are at home or look low effort. You should change locations and always try to have a nice background. The pictures are not bad, but they are pretty average. The problem with average is, that its simply not enough for tinder. That's a shame, because you look like a really cool guy. Make new pictures. The first one looks the most professional, but your pose is a bit "too much", like it would be good for insta, but on tinder it has imo not the right touch to it. Quality of your pics is really bad, but I guess you know that. The Konami Pic could be used because it's something unique, but what are you doing there? If I was a girl I would ask myself "Is this guy a host of this show? Or is this just a nerd on some weird geek convention?" If you're the host, mention it in your bio somewhere, that you're hosting shows.
I mean your pics still look better than most of the guys on tinder, but it's still not enough to get into the 20% of men where the real game is going on. Try some new locations, different angles. Get some inspiration on andys guide. You've got this!
Your absolutely right, average is the best word for most of those photos and that's what I want to improve.

As you pointed out, the only 1 of those photos that scored over an 8 for attractiveness on Photofeeler was the first (8.1 over 30 votes). I will keep updating these as I get new ones and I will eventually get there with it. I agree on the body shot, I was going for lazy weekend morning vibes. I agree I can do better here.

To answer your question, yes, I used to host events for Konami on their live stream. The issue is that 2020 had no events and I also lost a ton of weight and put on some muscle, so I think using anything older wouldn't help me. Something I am lacking is showing off a hobby or activity I do, I am actively looking for something beyond gaming that looks better for photos. I will hopefully get this sorted after lockdown ends.

My goal is to definitely get my profile into the top 20%, I agree with you that average isn't good enough and I want to keep pushing. I am currently using a phone to take my photos, I wanted to get started right away and improve at how I look in photos before dropping the cash on a proper camera and lense. That is something I will do in the near future.

I took some more today, this weekends goal was to get more comfortable with smiling and getting beyond goofy. Here are 3 more I took today (these were the ones I liked from over 100) : -

2020-11-28 B.jpg
2020-11-28 A.jpg
2020-11-28 Dog.jpg

I have more from today that I thought were good, but I wasn't really smiling and I want to challenge myself to feel comfortable doing it.

Thank you for your thoughts so far, this is a big help!
Great to hear you want to make progress!
Listen, i'm like you. Still use a smartphone for pictures, still trying to find a hobby or some interesting activity in my pictures. Because as for now I have only been taking pictures of me solo, always solo shots with nature in the background or something. Never an activity or something really interesting in me doing. So what does my profile/my pictures tell you? Whats the story? Tbh I can't even tell you, because I feel like my pictures don't tell a story, except that I like to pose for good shots. And that's also not good enough to get into the 20 %.

For your new pictures: they get better. Keep trying! Always change outfits. Like radical said, It's super frustrating when you get many good shots but they're all in the same fucking outfit. The first one looks good, I like it. Would put that one into your dating profile too until you can replace them with superior pics. The dog pic is cute. Too bad it's the same outfit tho.

Oh and btw. You don't have to necessarily smile on every picture. I rarely smile on my pictures even tho I get compliments on my smile. Sometimes pictures look more masculine when you have this serious expression. But sure, smiling is generally a way to go. Just experiment with what works best for you in your pictures.
User avatar
Brother_Tucker
Posts: 38 | Thanks: 22
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:17 pm
Goal: Live for myself
Age: 33
Motto: Be OK being the bad guy in someone else's story.

Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:03 pm

Excuses wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:48 pm
Brother_Tucker wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:52 pm


Your absolutely right, average is the best word for most of those photos and that's what I want to improve.

As you pointed out, the only 1 of those photos that scored over an 8 for attractiveness on Photofeeler was the first (8.1 over 30 votes). I will keep updating these as I get new ones and I will eventually get there with it. I agree on the body shot, I was going for lazy weekend morning vibes. I agree I can do better here.

To answer your question, yes, I used to host events for Konami on their live stream. The issue is that 2020 had no events and I also lost a ton of weight and put on some muscle, so I think using anything older wouldn't help me. Something I am lacking is showing off a hobby or activity I do, I am actively looking for something beyond gaming that looks better for photos. I will hopefully get this sorted after lockdown ends.

My goal is to definitely get my profile into the top 20%, I agree with you that average isn't good enough and I want to keep pushing. I am currently using a phone to take my photos, I wanted to get started right away and improve at how I look in photos before dropping the cash on a proper camera and lense. That is something I will do in the near future.

I took some more today, this weekends goal was to get more comfortable with smiling and getting beyond goofy. Here are 3 more I took today (these were the ones I liked from over 100) : -

2020-11-28 B.jpg
2020-11-28 A.jpg
2020-11-28 Dog.jpg

I have more from today that I thought were good, but I wasn't really smiling and I want to challenge myself to feel comfortable doing it.

Thank you for your thoughts so far, this is a big help!
Great to hear you want to make progress!
Listen, i'm like you. Still use a smartphone for pictures, still trying to find a hobby or some interesting activity in my pictures. Because as for now I have only been taking pictures of me solo, always solo shots with nature in the background or something. Never an activity or something really interesting in me doing. So what does my profile/my pictures tell you? Whats the story? Tbh I can't even tell you, because I feel like my pictures don't tell a story, except that I like to pose for good shots. And that's also not good enough to get into the 20 %.

For your new pictures: they get better. Keep trying! Always change outfits. Like radical said, It's super frustrating when you get many good shots but they're all in the same fucking outfit. The first one looks good, I like it. Would put that one into your dating profile too until you can replace them with superior pics. The dog pic is cute. Too bad it's the same outfit tho.

Oh and btw. You don't have to necessarily smile on every picture. I rarely smile on my pictures even tho I get compliments on my smile. Sometimes pictures look more masculine when you have this serious expression. But sure, smiling is generally a way to go. Just experiment with what works best for you in your pictures.
Yea the story part is something I want to work on. I would choose this year of all years to decide to finally figure out my social life...

I intend to only use 1 photo in each outfit, I needed some advice to choose between the 2 in the grey and black, I will throw the 2nd one onto my IG and the first onto my dating profile.

I am going to start packing a change of cloths for long day shoots, that way I can get more into the reel if other opportunities come up.
User avatar
Brother_Tucker
Posts: 38 | Thanks: 22
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:17 pm
Goal: Live for myself
Age: 33
Motto: Be OK being the bad guy in someone else's story.

Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:38 am

Updates: -

Using the following Photos: -
Reel 1 T + B.PNG
First boost got 17 matches which felt pretty good, although most of them came from people who are too far away. That said I did manage to get this one this morning which also happened to be a PR: -
120 kg deadlift.jpg
I asked a friend this morning about using a gym picture and his advice was "girls want to know you work out, they don't want to see you working out, do not use that one"

I was wondering your guys thoughts on this as I am lacking something that shows me having real hobbies and I do mention that I love to lift in my bio (and notably then have 0 photos of me actually doing this).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Excuses
Posts: 136 | Thanks: 22
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:22 pm
Goal: Get in shape
Age: 26
Motto: No excuses. Just fucking do it.

Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:42 am

I asked a friend this morning about using a gym picture and his advice was "girls want to know you work out, they don't want to see you working out, do not use that one"
Bro, this is bs. Don't listen to him. Even Andy has kinda the same pic in his profile. So absolutely use this one in your profile. It looks good.

What I may agree on him is, if you do a mirror selfie in the gym. That's just retarded. But someone taking a pic of you and when it doesnt look staged, then it's good.
User avatar
Brother_Tucker
Posts: 38 | Thanks: 22
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:17 pm
Goal: Live for myself
Age: 33
Motto: Be OK being the bad guy in someone else's story.

Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:21 pm

Hey guys,

As some updates, I have been doing really well with matches on Tinder recently and I wanted to thank you for that. Quite a few have converted to numbers, but of those many want to wait until the lockdown restrictions have been eased (the UK is super strict right now).

After a month of good results, I want to invest in a proper camera and continue to make progress, my issue is that the 2 options Andy suggests are very old and very high priced. I'm not at the point where I want to drop £1300 on a camera, but I also can do better than the older model he recommends. I was considering the following: -

https://store.canon.co.uk/canon-eos-250 ... c=NSO-Site

With the following lens:

https://store.canon.co.uk/canon-ef-50mm ... /0570C005/

This seems to be the mid point between Andy's first camera and the top end one that he recommends. Based on the reviews it seems like a reliable model and it fits the right lens for better tinder photos. I just wanted to check with you guys first in case you recommend a mirrorless one over a DLSR, I keep getting mixed views on this. So why not ask the people with the same goals right?

As an update, my current profile: -
Screenshot_20210129-141341_Tinder.jpg
Using Tinder Platinum, Generally getting a few matches a day without using boosts (I have been saving them for post covid when I suspect there will be a huge demand for 1 night entertainment partners).

So far so good, if you could help with the camera, I will continue to upgrade and post updates.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
HotEnigma
Posts: 3 | Thanks: 1
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:16 pm
Name: Aaron
Goal: Lose Body Fat
Age: 24
Motto: Play to Win

Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:27 am

@Brother_Tucker Which camera did you end up going with? I'm looking to buy a proper camera as well
User avatar
Brother_Tucker
Posts: 38 | Thanks: 22
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:17 pm
Goal: Live for myself
Age: 33
Motto: Be OK being the bad guy in someone else's story.

Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:36 pm

HotEnigma wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:27 am
@Brother_Tucker Which camera did you end up going with? I'm looking to buy a proper camera as well
I really like the Canon EOS 250D if I can find one. I watched some youtube reviews and one that stood out was a professional wedding photographer who said he keeps this one in his car as a back up incase his pro one breaks. The issue I am having is that it seems its out of stock in a lot of places and Amazon has them listed as more than the Cannon website even as second hand.

I might look into some other brands, and see what the features are like and if there is an equivalent lens for that Camera. Just waiting on this months paycheck and I will make the call.
User avatar
Brother_Tucker
Posts: 38 | Thanks: 22
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:17 pm
Goal: Live for myself
Age: 33
Motto: Be OK being the bad guy in someone else's story.

Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:09 pm

Hi guys,

Wanted to post some updates. I finally got a Camera!

Picked up the Sony A6000 mirrorless and the 1.8 50mm Lens. It was cheaper than Andy's recommended suggestion, but also a bit more upto date than the budget option. I have the tripod coming next week and have a remote for it. Pros is that its super light weight and is an award winning camera. Cons is that the screen doesn't flip around (this is a feature on the later models) so setting up to take photos of yourself is actually kind of a pain. That said, here are some of the photos I took today that I edited with Facetune 2. I realize looking at the photos on my computer, I need to use the light reduction when taking photos in sun light (I thought I had more shade than I did).
Street walk.jpg
Book Read.jpg
Book look away.jpg
I could use advise as to which of these is better.


Lastly I wanted to try something a bit artsy for a BDSM tease in my profile. I was wondering what you though of the photo/general direction, I wanted to go with a Sin City vibe here.
BDSM 1st try.jpg
As always guys thanks for all of the help so far, its much appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Brother_Tucker
Posts: 38 | Thanks: 22
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:17 pm
Goal: Live for myself
Age: 33
Motto: Be OK being the bad guy in someone else's story.

Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:39 pm

Hey guys,

Just a small update for this one, I took some new photos to add to the profile and wanted to get your thoughts: -
Hoddie adjust.jpg
Hoodie Smile.jpg
T- shirt BW.jpg
T- shirt direct look.jpg
Tee-shirt look away.jpg
Photofeeler always down votes my non smile photos a ton and I end up second guessing the results a lot.

As always, cheers for the help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
play_time_is_over
Posts: 147 | Thanks: 82
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:08 am
Name: Simon
Goal: 30 Lays
Age: 30
Motto: Doing something badly is better than doing nothing
Location: Australia

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:34 am

Photofeeler is fairly useless. You can get your photo scores directly from Tinder instead.

I would add a reasonably large line up of photos (9 max), and just do a couple boosts. 100-200 matches should be enough data. You can then inspect Tinder on a desktop and extract your photos scores and rank from the inspect element.

If you're interested in how to do this I will write a guide.

Otherwise, your photos are pretty good already and you will already get a good amount of matches. Over time you will just look more natural in photos. It does take work. I usually get 1 good photo per 200 shots.
Goal: 10 / 30 lifetime lays. 63 / 200 Approaches. Complete AA (Day 6).

Stats: 6'5" - 88kg - 30 years old.

Sub Goals: Improve Tinder - Improve Style - Teeth Whitening ✔️ - Lasik Eye Surgery ✔️ - Tattoo - Gym - PE - Skin Care - Voice Training.
Post Reply