rate profile pics

marcusRain
Goal: something better
Motto: done with this place

Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:18 am

pancakemouse wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:10 am
Remove it. You will be judged on your lowest-quality photo, and it's not good. The sixth one already looks realistic enough.
k thanks
Pluto wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:33 am
OP, based on your photo, I think you may best be served in giving off the vibe of a cool type of scholar instead of a gym bro. Almost like Dr. Strange (don't dress like him literally though) or a Jordan Peterson. If you are a doctor then you are clearly a brilliant guy so I think when you get asked to portray yourself as a young rebel hipster, it might not accurately portray your vibe. Instead, own your vibe and add edginess to it.

I think the first photo of you is decent but my thought is, why not be more Oxford Gentleman and add some edge to that? Like the sexy professor she always wanted to sleep with rather than the edgy hipster without a job.

Like embody your style after Dr. Mike and then add edge to that.

Source:

Dorky guy who has had over 250 matches on Hinge and lost his V card solely due to online dating when he changed his pics.
appreciate the feedback. I'll mull that over for a future iteration. But I'm really not Oxford Gentleman-like; I'm pretty much like the way I look in the pics. But now you got me thinking maybe I should go all-out Dr. Strange and add a cape. Hmm. ;)

P.S. There was a recent study that I read--well just an article about a study--that basically said neurosurgeons & rocket scientists are not necessarily brighter than the rest of the population. As a physician it's about memorization, experience, communicating well, working well with others, staying cool in stressful situations, feeling comfortable with ambiguity (since patient's symptoms are very very very often ambiguous), and exercising good clinical judgement when dealing with said ambiguous symptoms.

Rags2Bitches wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:42 am
@marcusRain yes that last pic is bad, you look like a tranny.
Darn. Not quite the look I was going for. ;)
Rags2Bitches wrote:
i think main photo looks weird in black and white. can you post a link to it in color so i can edit real quick
Oh I think that'll be difficult. That's a composite. As @Adrizzle astutely pointed out, when taking the park photos the light was dark around my eyes. Silly me figured hey, it's a completely overcast day, the goddamned lighting should be uniform. Apparently not. I hate outside photoshoots because some new issue always pops up. So the head shot is actually from an indoor photo I took, which I liked so much I also used in the ice cave composite as well. I decided on black & white for 4 reasons: 1. I thought I looked more striking in black & white; 2. so it's less obvious it's the same photo as in the ice cave; 3. I read a short article about a probably-completely-non-scientific study that said a black & white profile pic would increase likelihood of swiping right; and 4. I thought it'd be easier to put together a believable composite in black & white.

Anyway, much appreciated if you do want to take a stab at it. Or if you just have specific guidance about what needs to be fixed and I can work on it. Here are 2 colour versions (the original, and the one that has been photoshopped to improve cohesiveness):

[ link removed ]
Rags2Bitches wrote:
i would put the first group photo 4th. your eyes look unnaturally blue in it, did you photoshop that or some lighting issue
I'll look at that. A bunch of photoshop editing went into that one since it's a composite, and I applied a bunch of different lighting changes to my face.

super thanks all
Last edited by marcusRain on Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adrizzle
Goal: Take Action

Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:57 pm

1,4 and the last one I can tell it’s photoshop.
Regular people will say it’s bit off.

I bit my tongue before but I think if being a doctor on online dating isn’t yielding results you need to consider other avenues. See cold approach.

Really consider if you portraying yourself as “this” is what you want to do. And see if it’s getting you results. To me it’s a bit sad, you can’t recapture your youth but you are what you are now.
marcusRain wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:34 am
But, this is me; I was already lying about my age and trying to dress trendy years before finding this place.
Yeah bro is lying about your age what you want to be?
marcusRain

Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:21 pm

Adrizzle wrote:
1,4 and the last one I can tell it’s photoshop.
Regular people will say it’s bit off.
Thanks, I'm going to remove the last one. But what were you saying about 1 and 4? I didn't understand. That they also look photoshopped? 4 was not photoshopped, other than just adjusting lighting.
Adrizzle wrote:
Really consider if you portraying yourself as “this” is what you want to do. And see if it’s getting you results. To me it’s a bit sad, you can’t recapture your youth but you are what you are now.
I appreciate the feedback. But I've never been married, don't have kids, haven't left a family behind, haven't gone through a midlife crisis. But yeah, I'm 41. So what would it mean to live like I'm 41? And should I be striving to live like your idea of how a 41 year old should live? Or society's? But that's what I should be doing? Trying to attain your approval or society's approval?

What about people who decide to change their genders? Society more and more is accepting of that. But I should still "live like a 41 year old."

Something you wouldn't know is that I do not feel any different than I did in my 20's. So why should I be acting different?

What about just being myself, living my life, and maintaining my own approval, despite of how it makes you feel?

Agree with you on cold approach--that's something I'm also working on.

EDIT: just to be clear, I don't actually lie about my age. When I turned 40, my online dating pool suddenly disappeared...it was just gone. That's when I sought out this place, and started improving my photos, and I adopted Andy's suggestion of entering a lower age and then paying to hide the age. I have my age set at 30; and if asked, I'm truthful.
marcusRain

Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:53 am

Just got back from hanging out w/ a group of friends. My friend from Arizona was down, who is an endodontist and is 41 years old like me. He was wearing a hoodie & a toque & jeans. His brother, an oral maxillofacial surgeon, 2 years younger than us, was wearing a T-shirt & jeans. Another similarly-aged dentist friend showed up, wearing a long-sleeved T-shirt & jeans. Nothing we talked or joked about even remotely bordered on anything "intellectual." What I'm getting at here is that some of you seem to have a preconceived notion as to who doctors [and 40+ year old men] are and how we should dress and behave. But if you actually had a conversation with me, we'd talk about the stupidest, stupidest shit. I cannot stress how much I am *not* an intellectual, and neither are my professional friends. So enough--I am not interested in hearing any further about how any of you think I should be living my life. All I want is some help with my photos, please--that's it.

General consensus, more or less, seems that the following photos are good, and quite frankly, I'm really happy with them:

[ photos removed ]

It's this photo that is apparently troublesome:

[ photos removed ]

So what can I do to fix it? Is the whole photo bad? Is it because it's black & white? Does it look fake? Should I change the background? I've been mulling over removing the pendant, which might help mitigate the "trying to look like a hipster" vibe--any thoughts? Should I not use it as my primary profile photo, and instead use the photo of me in the office? Help me out here, please. This is what I would really like your help with.

Thanks, as always, for your help.