rate profile pics

marcusRain
Goal: something better
Motto: done with this place

Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:10 am

Hoping for feedback regarding my new profile pics. Fam & friends say they're great (and much better than what I had before), but I'm getting very few matches.

[ link removed ]

thanks
Last edited by marcusRain on Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
jackBruh
Name: Jack
Goal: Slay demons

Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:39 am

The quality is definitely very good, but they're pretty sterile and your style is pretty bland. Very 'dad'. Keep 2 and 5 (try and redo 5 so we can see the necklace, and I'm not sure if the v neck really suits you. @Radical ?). redo 1,3 and 4 with better fashion. I know 6 and 7 are 'hobby' pics but you still look very stationary and boring. try golf mid swing? And a better group photo in a cooler setting and where you don't look so small
Goals
- Get better photos (✔, formal, group)
- Get a tattoo (✔)
- Get back to the gym (aiming for 80kg 10%) (1/2/3/4 plates ✔/✔/✔/80%)
- Work on location independant income so I can move countries (said fuck it and moved countries before the income)
Rags2Bitches
Name: Andrey
Goal: Build service biz

Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:02 am

gonna write some off the cuff thoughts

agree with most of the comment above. you look like a soulless workaholic who is not very fun to be around + yea sterile dad

It looks like you tried to improve your style to dress trendier but it wasn’t done correctly and looks bad and try-hard. Fixing your style and maybe getting an edgier haircut would be first priority. I’m around a lot of 40-50yo+ physicians/lawyers and it’s pretty clear on sight who dates a bunch of 20-30yo girls and who doesn’t.

the hospital and dog photo are fine. The gym photo is at least dynamic and you’re obviously in great shape, but those horrible long shorts give you away as an ancient. Golf photo is extremely stiff. Meditation photo also just feels so stiff/white/sanitized. The ppl in the group photo look so bad that it’s better to seem like a loner

anyway, the good thing is that you yourself look good and style + photos are quick fixes. You need a couple of portraits in cool clothes (maybe one edgy and one more formal) by a good portrait photographer, a couple of hobby photos that aren’t so stiff and 1 group photo where it looks like attractive people (including at least one of your target demographic) are enjoying your company

welcome to reach out with any questions
marcusRain

Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:40 pm

Oh fantastic! Feedback much appreciated.

Wondering what specifically is bad fashion-wise in 1, 3, and 5?
Jake
Goal: Beat anxiety/fatigue

Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:08 am

marcusRain wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:40 pm
Oh fantastic! Feedback much appreciated.

Wondering what specifically is bad fashion-wise in 1, 3, and 5?
The fit sticks out to me most in those pictures. Those shirts seem to fit your arms well but not much else. Very boxy around your torso. Some slim fit shirts are a must have

Same problem with the pants in 1 and the shorts in 4. Swap those for jeans that are less loose around the ankles and some nice fitting joggers.

3 I actually quite like as far as dog pics go. It’s very genuine. Not edgy at all though, so you’ll need to juxtapose it.

All in all I’d just say work on:
- Getting the fit of your clothes just right
- Making your pictures look more candid (most look posed, 2 is fine in this regard because of the context)
- Make your action shots more exciting
play_time_is_over
Name: Simon
Goal: 30 Lays
Motto: Doing something badly is better than doing nothing

Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:26 am

Beard + better haircut and I think you'll see your match rate increase a lot. Picture quality is good but your hairstyle is the fastest win at this point.
Goal: 12 / 30 lifetime lays.

Stats: 6'5" - 88kg - 32 years old.
marcusRain

Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:43 am

Rags2Bitches wrote:
It looks like you tried to improve your style to dress trendier but it wasn’t done correctly and looks bad and try-hard.
Shit. Well, absolutely it's been try-hard. Over the past couple of years I've spent $ thousands (about 30 new pairs of pants, 30-40 shirts, a dozen pairs of boots, a dozen pairs of shoes, several leather jackets, etc. etc...and much of it is designer. I think there was a lot of wasted money.)

Rags2Bitches wrote:
Meditation photo also just feels so stiff/white/sanitized. The ppl in the group photo look so bad that it’s better to seem like a loner
I laugh every time I read that (about the group photo). For a quick fix I took out the meditation photo, the group photo, and the standing photo (in front of the mural). That seemed to improve matches, and still left 5 photos.

Rags2Bitches wrote:
You need a couple of portraits in cool clothes (maybe one edgy and one more formal) by a good portrait photographer, a couple of hobby photos that aren’t so stiff and 1 group photo where it looks like attractive people (including at least one of your target demographic) are enjoying your company

I will work on this, but my hobbies don't translate well to interesting photos.

I thought my fashion was reasonably cool in photo 5? It more or less follows Radical's guide. Well, other than I need to apparently get my shirts tailored.

Jake wrote:
The fit sticks out to me most in those pictures. Those shirts seem to fit your arms well but not much else. Very boxy around your torso. Some slim fit shirts are a must have
I hear you, and I had gotten a few shirts tailored, but I felt they were calling too much attention to just how thin I am. I'm really super thin, and I try not to draw attention to that. I've lifted for most of my adult life, and what little muscle I have, I put on years ago and plateaued long ago.

I'm thinking of incorporating some collared shirts to wear untucked over the T-shirts, like my man magic_fox https://www.instagram.com/p/BkS4D8SgyjQ/.

Jake wrote:
Same problem with the pants in 1 and the shorts in 4. Swap those for jeans that are less loose around the ankles and some nice fitting joggers.
Like, length-wise for the jeans? I can get my jeans tailored. But I won't wear skinny pants that hug my legs. I'm not a religious man but I'm praying for the day that goes out of fashion...

Jake wrote:
3 I actually quite like as far as dog pics go. It’s very genuine. Not edgy at all though, so you’ll need to juxtapose it.
Like, add some angry villagers w/ pitchforks and torches and such in the background? No srsly, any specific suggestions? It was a difficult shot and I'm hoping not to retake it, but I don't mind editing and currently have a subscription to photoshop & lightroom.

jackBruh wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:39 am
And a better group photo in a cooler setting and where you don't look so small
Haha. I'm mulling over adding myself into a cool group picture that I'll find online. Because, as we've decided, my friends scare the ladies. (I had success with changing the background of what was originally a bathroom selfie a few years ago when I first started using Tinder. And that was with Microsoft Paint...)

THANKS SO MUCH ALL. You guys rock.
chad_chaddington
Name: charlie
Goal: get laid
Motto: i love bad bitches thats my fuckin problem

Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:51 am

i support the comments about a new haircut. try to find a more hip barbershop where they specialize in fades and things like that and go for something more modern. i think that could really help.
Rags2Bitches

Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:41 am

marcusRain wrote:
Over the past couple of years I've spent $ thousands (about 30 new pairs of pants, 30-40 shirts, a dozen pairs of boots, a dozen pairs of shoes, several leather jackets, etc. etc...and much of it is designer. I think there was a lot of wasted money.)
That does sound excessive but I'm sure some of that stuff is good. Here's what I want you to do-- take pics of the clothes/shoes you have like this and post them here
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t6lte8rqxfh5 ... wxg9a?dl=0
also take a few full body ones of how it usually fits together and I'll be able to recommend some combinations. I suspect you have more than enough of the right clothes for good photos/dates.
marcusRain wrote:
I will work on this, but my hobbies don't translate well to interesting photos.
That's not possible. As you can see from Andy's tinder photo inspiration article(s), any hobby including board games/golf/meditation/whatever can make a good photo if the photographer (and the model) know what they're doing.

That dog pic is fine, leave it as is. He meant juxtapose it with another more edgy photo.

Hire a couple of people or have a photographer hire them for the shoot if your friends are ugly. It'll be easier for the models to act at ease anyway. I've posted some easy examples of group photos to stage on this forum before, can re-post if needed.
marcusRain

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:14 am

awesome guys, thanks. Working on fixing the hair as we speak, and growing a beard to try.

@Rags2Bitches totally going to take you up on that offer. Just gotta find the time to take the pics. Thanks so much

Gotta get on top of my A game b/c I don't have the advantage of a large city like you guys. Well, I'm right across the border with Detroit but crossing hasn't been feasible w/ COVID.
marcusRain

Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:43 am

Rags2Bitches wrote:
That does sound excessive but I'm sure some of that stuff is good. Here's what I want you to do-- take pics of the clothes/shoes you have like this and post them here
also take a few full body ones of how it usually fits together and I'll be able to recommend some combinations. I suspect you have more than enough of the right clothes for good photos/dates.
Here we go:

[ link removed ]

Note that the pants are all actual pants--I folded the legs in the photos so they look like shorts.

Outfit4 is the only one with a tailored shirt. I see it does look better than the others, so I'm going to get the shirts all tailored.

There's a navy blue leather jacket too but that's being tailored. But I'm actually mulling over switching to a different jacket type than leather but haven't decided.

Still thinking about getting some collared shirts to wear on top of the T-shirts. I'd like something warmer in the winter.

anyway, thanks again
Last edited by marcusRain on Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
nipple-flip
Name: Chris
Goal: self-actualize
Motto: do your best every day

Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:58 am

how tall are you? the t-shirts look a bit long for your torso. i started buying clothes from a "for short men" manufacturer and everything fits me 1000x better, especially t-shirts.

good on you for making the moves and getting your shit tailored.
29M

regular processes
- track sleep, calories, and protein
- lift weights
- solve medium/hard leetcode problems
- journal

less-regular processes
- complete two "grokking" courses
- read and take notes on DDIA

outcomes
- qualify for USAPL open nationals at 75kg (current bodyweight 151, S/B/D: 353/203/462)
marcusRain

Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:55 pm

nipple-flip wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:58 am
how tall are you? the t-shirts look a bit long for your torso. i started buying clothes from a "for short men" manufacturer and everything fits me 1000x better, especially t-shirts.

good on you for making the moves and getting your shit tailored.
6' 1".

Thanks. Maybe I should get them shortened.
Rags2Bitches

Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:59 pm

marcusRain wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:43 am
Rags2Bitches wrote:
Here we go:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Note that the pants are all actual pants--I folded the legs in the photos so they look like shorts.

Outfit4 is the only one with a tailored shirt. I see it does look better than the others, so I'm going to get the shirts all tailored.

There's a navy blue leather jacket too but that's being tailored. But I'm actually mulling over switching to a different jacket type than leather but haven't decided.

Still thinking about getting some collared shirts to wear on top of the T-shirts. I'd like something warmer in the winter.

anyway, thanks again
yea i don’t know why you have so many items with so little variety (even when i went out 3-4 times a week i had 3-4 pairs of jeans) but most of this stuff looks good enough.

i would wear the boots and not the sneakers for most of these leather jacket outfits and wear sneakers with hoodies or a different type of more street style jacket

the glaring issue here (already mentioned above) is that the t shirts don’t fit well. the length is probably fine, although i can’t completely tell by the pics cause you keep tucking them in for some reason. there’s waaay too much room around the waist though. very easy to tailor. you have the narrow chest/big arms body type and the way the t shirts hang loose around your waist only exacerbates that.

wearing collared shirts instead of t shirts is fine (like all saints, check out my man philsancho on insta) but i wouldn’t use them as a jacket over the t shirt. there are better jacket types esp for a cold place.

for now, i would focus on getting a few t shirts tailored to fit well and getting a decent photographer.

longer term, i raised my eyebrows at the “i don’t have the advantage of a big city” part. are you currently taking care of a dying parent? do you have children? if it’s just the inconvenience of finding another job at a hospital in montreal or toronto or something, i’d take some time to think about your priorities. the chances of you finding an attractive girlfriend with the qualities you’re looking for in a small town are laughably lower. obv trade offs to all of this— just depends on what you’re willing to sacrifice
Radical
Name: Cam
Goal: Funnel/Product Building
Motto: Take drastic action

Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:11 pm

Thats a big wardrobe. Best set of shoes ive seen from a newbie so far. Although seems to be a few superfluous options and the boots are little beat up.

You dont want to be tucking your t-shirts into your belt anymore.