SIGMA: From Side Hustle to Digital Nomad (Holy Shit Too Many Free Clients)

SIGMA_1234
Goal: Have nomadic income.
Motto: Stop talking. Start doing.

Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:01 am

This will be the scariest thread that I will be making so far, because this goes contrary to everything I stood for so far in my life. It also means that everyone will be watching me execute on my side hustle. Back then, I answer to no one when I stop. Now, it's a different story, because everyone will ask why I stopped.

I will keep this separate from my other thread, as this will focus on my side hustle.

I took engineering at university and passed with flying colors, but I am just jaded whenever I see the job market for engineers in my country. Or for corporate: they overwork themselves to death and burnout after 3 years. I was pretty hopeless with how I would proceed, until I found out about digital nomads. People from abroad traveling around the world, leveraging currency arbitrage to score the best deals all around the world.

One skill I found that they possess is some form of remote skill. When I met and talked to some of them, they were people like me (some were even engineers). In fact, I knew for the longest time I had all the pieces I needed already to execute on this plan: a basic understanding of business, an eagerness to learn a remote skill, and native-fluency in English (also aiming for native-fluency in Mandarin, though). I just need daily implementation of goals to at least inevitably reach there.

I was asked to answer these questions before, so here goes:
What kind of life do you want to live 10 or 15 years from now?
Making so much money I can literally start a business whenever I feel like there is a gap in the market. I want to live in an apartment in a CBD because I love to see the nightlights everytime. It doesn't get old. And seeing high-rises in the day is also amazing.

I also want so much money that I will still be considered sexy to women when I reach my 30s. By this time, I see myself easily having 2-3 kids, where I won't bother with the costs of raising a child.
Where do you want to live? Which city, which country?
I am happy where I am from currently, the Philippines. Though, it doesn't hurt to expand my horizons outside the country. Maybe get an investor visa in a different country, when my country goes to shit? Who knows, but I'm getting ahead of myself.
What position do you want to have in your job / career?
I see myself being an entrepreneur who can easily spot gaps in the market in 10 or 15 years.
How much money do you want to make? Or rather: how much money do you think you'll need to live your dream life?
My dream income is to make $10k/ month in a developing country. However, my initial goal is $2k/ month. The moment I can consistently make that kind of money like clockwork, is the moment this "side hustle" becomes my main thing.
How many hours per week do you want to work?
30-40 hours a week. I want to have free time to explore different passions (coding, hobby hardware projects) and potential business ideas (which includes going to China for their Canton Fair every year).
What are currently the things that make you the happiest?
Partying (in moderation), girls, self-improvement, learning about business, building projects, and travel.
What are your other goals in life and how do they align with our career goals?
Buy 5 cash flowing properties. Cost is Php 15-25 million (~$300k - $500k). This gives me a safety net in my cashflow.
How do you want to look in 10 years?
Into fitness: have a great body (12% bodyfat). Suave, macho businessman: able to invest in ventures I find have potential.
What personality do you want to have in the future, or rather: what personality is required to reach your dream life?
Drive, ambition. And an IDGAF attitude.

While I still don't have a job, my plan is to start an digital marketing agency. Strategy is to create "Direct-Response" websites for clients, then upsell them to digital marketing services. I have read a shit ton of Gary Halbert, Dan Kennedy, and Michael Masterson to have a rough idea of what I would need to do. I also like to do digital marketing because I can transition to consulting different skills if I need to, yet still have the ability to sell on the internet when everything changes. At best, I will be one of the digital nomads, traveling around whenever. Or, if my endeavors fail, I can still work for a Business Development Role, at worst. This is almost the perfect time for me to start because a ton of people in my circle are starting businesses because they have a hard time looking for a job/ are retrenched.

Another option is to become a freelance data analyst. This guy's lifestyle basically: https://www.instagram.com/nomad_black/. Solving business problems while remote still sounds appealing. Though, it's a step further from "increasing a company's revenue", compared to digital marketing. Still, I ain't gonna shut the door here.

Special request to @AGF and @GravyTrain to perhaps keep me accountable for this or give some advice? You two are inspiring entrepreneur types and have your heads screwed on straight. I expect you to be busy, so I don't expect instant replies (you got businesses to run anyway).
Last edited by SIGMA_1234 on Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:01 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Your friendly closeted pervert

Goals:
-) Job applications: 5/ day but minimum as 5/week
-) 30 mins. of Mandarin TV shows to improve Mandarin

COVID-19 Quarantine specific:
-) daily home workouts
-) 15 swipes in Bumble/ Tinder or talk to 1 girl (whichever comes first)

Side Hustle to Digital Nomad Log
AGF
Goal: $1,000,000 until 2025

Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:39 am

Those are good answers to the questions I asked you last week. You're definitely on the right track. Now you just have to show up to work every day and put in the hours. The only way to fail at this is by giving up. Always remember that.

What could help you: now that you have answered how your life should look like, ask yourself what kind of character traits and skills you need. Who do you need to become in order to live the life you want to live? Who exactly is that guy who makes $10k per month, is fluent in Mandarin, lives in CBD and spots different business opportunities? Make a list of skills and character traits (e.g. if you want to work as a freelancer you have to become good at sales and good with people, outgoing to a certain extent). Then compare them to your current skillset and character traits. You can even write a small paragraph describing your future self.

Then all that is left to do is working on transforming yourself into the character that you need to become.
2020 goals:
  • $50,000 in annual revenue - done, new goal $100,000
  • get 5 professional photos for online dating
  • cut down to 75kg
  • finish 30 books/audiobooks
SIGMA_1234

Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:32 pm

AGF wrote:
Then all that is left to do is working on transforming yourself into the character that you need to become.
I still do not know what kind of traits I need to have. But this much I know: to reach $10k/ month, I would need to have either 2 $5k clients or 5 $2k clients.

Hell, I said my main goal is $2k/ month. That's my main goal for this. I am still unsure what kind of kill level I need to be to get there, yet. I'll think about this for now.

Goals:

-) daily home workouts

GravyTrain
Goal: Make money
Motto: Hustle & Motivate

Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:26 am

SIGMA_1234 wrote:
Now, it's a different story, because everyone will ask why I stopped.
The only failure is stopping.

If you've EVER even had the thought of starting a business run thru your head, it won't go away. It will stay there until you do it. And after that, it will still be there. There's no escaping it so you only have one choice: Do it.
SIGMA_1234 wrote:
I just need daily implementation of goals to at least inevitably reach there.
Yup. Get yourself a whiteboard and write down your "One Thing" every day, and take action on doing it. It feels so good to knock out your One Thing first thing when you wake up.
SIGMA_1234 wrote:
However, my initial goal is $2k/ month.
I remember before I hit this, I thought it was so damn hard. I was conflicted internally about why I couldn't do it, why it seemed so difficult. Then I blew past that shit from working my ass off. Now I hit that in a single day. In a few years I'll probably hit that in a single hour. It's all perspective.

2k/mo is 2 clients paying you 1k or 1 client paying you 2k, or 4 paying you $500. Just find someone that needs value provided, provide the value, they pay you. 2k is a marker of how much value you provided. Wanna make 10? Ok, just provide 10k worth of value! Simple! Not EASY but SIMPLE. It will become easy tho.
AGF wrote:
The only way to fail at this is by giving up. Always remember that.
God damn right. "Failures" are literally just road blocks that you have to overcome, OR the universe telling you you need to do something different.
SIGMA_1234 wrote:
You two are inspiring entrepreneur types and have your heads screwed on straight.
I appreciate that. I definitely don't feel like I "know what I'm doing" most of the time but such is the journey! I will def keep you accountable.

You need action steps. What's your "One Thing" right now and why isn't it done yet? Ask yourself that question every single day. Break it down into small steps you can take to get consistent wins and make progress.
24 Years Old
2020 Goals:
50k/mo profit (38/50 Done)
Have Meaningful Relationships with Women
5 Days Snowboarding

MY YT CHANNEL (COPY WHAT I'M DOING TO MAKE MONEY):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdIDA3 ... EbtQTYz90A
SIGMA_1234

Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:43 am

GravyTrain wrote:
2k/mo is 2 clients paying you 1k or 1 client paying you 2k, or 4 paying you $500. Just find someone that needs value provided, provide the value, they pay you.
It's easy for me to see myself looking for clients with consistent action. What seems to still be out of reach for me is international clients. Those who'll be paying me in USD, not Php. That still seems far-fetched for me at the moment. But I'm getting ahead of myself.
GravyTrain wrote:
What's your "One Thing" right now and why isn't it done yet?
My short-term goal for now, while waiting for interviews, is to make at least 3 websites direct-response style. Set these up as my portfolio, and start selling to others. I will be reaching out to local businesses for this. But the end goal, so far, is to upsell them to marketing services (Fb Ads/ SEO, I don't know yet).

Why is it not done yet? After completing my daily goals, I sneak these in my free time: Right now, I'm having a quick read of Dan Kennedy's "No BS Guide to Direct Marketing", then my next plan of action is to start familiarizing myself with Wordpress. Main goal is to make these websites salesmen for these local businesses with my design.

Goals:

-) daily home workouts

SIGMA_1234

Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:19 am

If you're following me in this forum, I am applying for a software engineering/ data analyst role. I have a decent portfolio now in Github for this, so I can now spend some time working on my side hustle: freelance digital marketing. A lot of my retrenched/ job-hunting friends are starting more and more businesses by the day, and I can no longer use COVID-19 as an excuse to stay inactive. This will keep me busy while I am applying for jobs, and it can show employers I have good business sense and isn't shy when it comes to sales (at least that's the plan, but I hope this becomes successful enough that I don't have to look for a job at all anymore).

I have started to accept the depressing reality that COVID-19 will forever rock our world, and I am expecting to not have the COVID-19 vaccine by the end of the year. So, I am looking for skills to add value that won't require me in an office. Also, doing this eases my mind in the job hunting process; currently I am WAY less needy in my job hunt as compared to the last few months, where I was at a complete loss and didn't start anything. Now, I am partly grateful (but still curse it as the biggest cockblock) that COVID-19 has stopped everything, because now I have no excuse to try crazy ventures for now.

My main long-term goal: become a digital nomad with international good clients to run digital ads for them, while living in my developing country.

Current task finished: Finished quickly reading through Dan Kennedy's "No BS Guide to Direct Marketing"

My short-term goal: Learn basic beautiful web design with Wordpress. I will use this as a bait to get my first few clients, then upsell them to digital marketing services. Next time I report here, I will be having 3 websites in my portfolio with real clients.

Goals:

-) daily home workouts

GravyTrain

Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:15 am

SIGMA_1234 wrote:
It's easy for me to see myself looking for clients with consistent action. What seems to still be out of reach for me is international clients. Those who'll be paying me in USD, not Php. That still seems far-fetched for me at the moment. But I'm getting ahead of myself.
I personally have paid people in your own city thousands of USD to work for me. It absolutely happens every single day and is not far fetched.

Bring skill, receive USD. It's very very simple.
SIGMA_1234 wrote:
'm having a quick read of Dan Kennedy's "No BS Guide to Direct Marketing"
Reading books is mental masturbation. How many more books are you going to read before taking action?

You're looking for some secret in a book, YouTube video, blog post. Trust me, it doesn't exist when it comes to business. NOTHING, I repeat, NOTHING compares even a lick to REAL EXPERIENCE.
SIGMA_1234 wrote:
Next time I report here, I will be having 3 websites in my portfolio with real clients.
I'm keeping tabs on you. Let's see ACTION.

I'm being hard on you because that's what you need. You need to get your ass kicked down and down again, fail and learn. Your literal goal should be to FAIL 10 times because that will teach you 100000x more than any books or YT videos. Then on the 11th time, you will "succeed." The haters will call it "luck!"
24 Years Old
2020 Goals:
5 Days Snowboarding

SIGMA_1234

Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:09 am

SIGMA_1234 wrote:
Next time I report here, I will be having 3 websites in my portfolio with real clients.
I take back what I said here and plan to just log in here weekly instead to force myself to make even the slightest action to my goals. I'm still a ways before I can get to 3 clients, but I still want to chart my progress towards it.

Finished a Youtube and Udemy guide to WordPress Web Design. I used every waking free hour to learn basic web design this week. Next order of business: make ONE fake website, then start reaching out to clients to do their websites. I'll show that one fake website here to show my progress when I'm done.

Goals:

-) daily home workouts

GravyTrain

Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:06 am

SIGMA_1234 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:09 am
Why not make 3 websites to practice, and build a portfolio to show your FIRST client?

Why not work for FREE for a client in exchange for an awesome, raving testimonial?

In fact, I probably have some work for you to do if you really need a review (raving testimonial). DM me and we can figure something out.
24 Years Old
2020 Goals:
5 Days Snowboarding

SIGMA_1234

Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:07 am

GravyTrain wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:06 am
Why not work for FREE for a client in exchange for an awesome, raving testimonial?
That's the plan, but I'll DM you

Goals:

-) daily home workouts

SIGMA_1234

Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:30 pm

Finished that one website I mentioned. Here's a demo website:

Lots of work that still needs to be done to make the website more persuasive, but it's a start. Personally, I appreciated this more because I did this myself, without aid from a tutorial. Finishing this is both exciting and nerve-wracking. Exciting because I have the bare minimum to approach clients, but nerve-wracking because I now have to approach clients and sell them to website services. I'll start out as free, but I'm still fucking nervous.

This week was also a mix of positive and negative thoughts and emotions for me.

Positive:
-) I have begun to see the quarantine as a special time for me to try different shit that's a far departure from my normal background. I have an engineering background, but the digital nomad lifestyle of freelancers has always enamored me. If it weren't for this pandemic, I will never have the guts to try this.

Negative:
-) I feel guilty for doing this because if I am successful, I feel like I will not have used my Engineering degree. And an Engineering degree is fucking expensive here, while the pay is downright shit (mainly because a ton of parents push their kids to do Engineering. So overabundance of Engineering labor). While it's stupid to think this because I am not yet successful, I still feel bad for letting my parents waste so much money if I might not use it.
-) I'm not really am super passionate about this, at least as of the moment. My main motivation for doing this is just the lifestyle aspect of being a highly paid digital nomad working from home or while traveling. So, I am not sure if my motivations are sustainable, and I feel like an impostor for pursuing this at the moment. (Though, the marketing skills I plan to pick up can still be useful for business in the future. I can either start a business or partner with someone who's got an innovative idea and do marketing for them. So there's that).

Just posting these negative BS thoughts because maybe someone else can help me process them.

Nevertheless, I just need to keep going. Next plan of action:
-) list at least 20 potential businesses who can use a new website
-) make an Upwork profile, too.

If any of you need a website done, I will do it for free for a limited time in exchange for a testimonial.

Goals:

-) daily home workouts

SIGMA_1234

Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:48 pm

A bit early for my weekly log, but I just want to acknowledge that I AM SO NERVOUS TO REACH OUT FOR CLIENTS VIA COLD OUTREACH. Sure, so far I got minimal warm leads from my social circle, but goddamn, I feel quite a bit of BS and resistance to reach out to businesses myself. I read a ton of business books, but nothing prepared me for the nervousness of reaching out to them for real.

The good news is I have an appointment at Tuesday with a potential client. He sells salmon in my city, and he's got a promising social media presence. I can use a lot of his assets in creating the website. The funny thing is, this client came from one of my girl phone sex buddies. Funny how I actually got this lead from a digital FWB (tho she's a smart ass and graduated from an elite university here).

I feel so insecure right now. I see people who make better websites than I do, and I just got into this because of unemployment (read: 2 weeks). I don't fully know how my websites can add value to them (so I can justify a price point later). I have a sales script, but I am scared that I might fumble around and forget to ask the important questions. I am scared that maybe not much will respond to my outreach methods. I feel so much doubt and BS right now.

BUT I still need to move forward here. I know I will never have the digital nomad lifestyle if I cannot get clients and provide value remotely, working in my own terms and hours. I will never achieve my desired lifestyle if I bitch and moan without an end, just like my inaction last year.

Ok, thanks for reading my insecurity rant. Time to reach out to clients and build my portfolio. Time to get to work.

Goals:

-) daily home workouts

tenzinf92
Name: Tenzin
Goal: Get 2 overlapping fbs
Motto: Take responsibility. Yes, for that too!

Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:53 pm

Hey Sigma, it's great to hear your thoughts as you share your current challenges.

It sounds like you're experiencing a bit of uncertainty about having a "good" degree, but not "taking advantage" of the benefits and "letting down" your parents by not using it.
I too found myself in a similar position. I have a masters degree in physics and astronomy. It's for that reason that I'm currently working as a RADAR engineer. It's my fall-back: I'm now making more money, stably, than I did last year when I quit my job and tried teaching English in Spain after getting a TEFL degree. It didn't take me long to realise that I'd never make the kind of money I wanted to by teaching English, and I felt I wasn't reaching my potential intellectually. So I moved back to engineering, despite my memories of working in a corporate office with a bunch of uninspiring, settling idiots and despite the attractive Spanish lifestyle by the beach. My degree isn't my passion, but it's SOMETHING to work with. I'm grateful for it. It gave me the money to go on a bootcamp which changed my life. It also allowed me to live in Scotland's capital city. (And yeah I've still got 20,000 to pay back). I'm not telling you to settle for your degree and do a corporate job... I just want to get across that I too am conflicted and can empathise with your situation. The corporate world has been soul-destroying for me, but I haven't yet found a sustainable way out that suits me.

Going to Spain to try something different but then returning to my corporate job doesn't count as a failure... I learned a lot. I did all I could with what I knew, and that is all you can do too - do all you can, with what you know. Maybe you'll see things differently in hindsight. Whatever happens, it won't be a failure. Go as far as you can, go all the way.

SIGMA_1234

Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:57 am

Thank you for acknowledging me. It means a lot because I don't have anyone in the real world to share about these goals. Only this forum is keeping me accountable. My parents don't even know that I am doing this (they think my last stop is a job or the family business), and all they've known about me is doing STEM and Engineering. I have taken a keen interest in business and marketing and the digital nomad lifestyle, and I still very weird and lost not using my engineering education. I know I can't work remotely when I am stuck in a lab or office working.
tenzinf92 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:53 pm
Going to Spain to try something different but then returning to my corporate job doesn't count as a failure... I learned a lot. I did all I could with what I knew, and that is all you can do too - do all you can, with what you know. Maybe you'll see things differently in hindsight. Whatever happens, it won't be a failure. Go as far as you can, go all the way.
Fuck I needed this. I graduated Magna Cum Laude in university, so my default behavior is over-preparation in order to avert failure at all costs. Now, I am starting to realize business is very different. It's "get the bare minimum right, then figure out everything else as you go." So many website designers and marketers are better than me, and I feel inadequate compared to them. I feel fake so far because I am not doing something STEM but business instead.

However, thanks for reminding me to go all the way. The thought of starting this has bugged me more than a year now. I know if I never try this properly and give it my all, I will regret not even giving it a shot or half-assing it 5 years from now.

Goals:

-) daily home workouts

AGF
Goal: $1,000,000 until 2025

Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:02 am

Great work!

Some advice on improving your web design skills:

1) use higher paddings and margins (e.g. the text in the box "Who we are. What we do" is way too close to the edges of the box.) Just use 50px padding on all sides whenever you make boxes, and use 150px padding on top and the bottom of each new section of the website.

2) Learn about typography. You want to be consistent (limit yourself two only 2 fonts at most), clean and not boring. Just find a few fonts that look nice as headings. Your current headline font is boring because everyone is using that font.

3) Learn about colors. The combination of the blue and green on your site is not the best. When it comes to body text, stick to #000000 as a color. Don't use blue or grey texts on a white background.

For your next website, don't build everything from scratch. Import a template (Envato Elements or Astra Starter Sites) you like and then make changes to it. By importing a template, you will most likely already have a good typography and good paddings. So you'll only need to adapt the colors and content. It is also a very good practice to try to carbon-copy existing websites.
2020 goals:
  • $50,000 in annual revenue - done, new goal $100,000
  • get 5 professional photos for online dating
  • cut down to 75kg
  • finish 30 books/audiobooks