Tell us YOUR recommendations.

Books, podcasts, YouTube vids and movies.
KillYourInnerLoser
Name: Andy
Goal: Writing full-time.
Motto: "You sure as hell can too."

Sun May 31, 2020 11:29 am

Got something that's legitimately helped you or improved your life? Tell us about it.

Here's my list:
https://kyil-extra.com/recommendations
Andy / Australia
My Transformation

140+ lays / 14 threesomes / 1 foursome (MFFF)
Goals 2020: Pay all bills from coaching. Finish 3some & BDSM guides.
PM me for 1-on-1 coaching
AGF
Goal: $1,000,000 until 2025

Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:02 am

I have a list of at least 20 book recommendations but I believe that just throwing out recommendations without explaining them is useless, so I will post them one by one in this thread, whenever I feel like writing something. Here's the first one:

Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins
This book tells the story of David Goggins. If you don't know him, watch his appearances on the Joe Rogan Podcast. The short bio: he used to be a fat, black kid with a terrible childhood until one day he made the decision to get his life in order. I think he lost more than 100lbs in a few weeks in order to qualify for the Navy Seals BUD/S program, one of the toughest classes you can go through. He went through "Hell Week" (the hardest week in the program where the majority of people give up) not only once but three times due to injuries and then ended up completing the last weeks of BUD/S with two broken shins. He then went on to become an ultrarunner and world-record holder of most pullups in 24h.

Why you should read this book: no matter how sorry you feel for yourself or how depressed you are, after reading this book you'll realize that it's all just excuses. The book is extremely motivating and shows you what is really possible. If you think you know what your physical and mental limits are, read this book and you will get a whole new idea of what the human body is capable of and how important a strong mindset is. The book also contains a lot of useful exercises to facilitate your personal growth, as well as interesting concepts (my personal favorite is the 40% rule). I highly recommend getting the audiobook on Audible. It's actually a combination of Audiobook and podcast. After each chapter, the speaker talks with David about what he just read to the audience and you'll gain a lot of additional insights that you wouldn't have from reading the book.
2020 goals:
  • $50,000 in annual revenue - done, new goal $100,000
  • get 5 professional photos for online dating
  • cut down to 75kg
  • finish 30 books/audiobooks
Cilindric
Goal: Improve dating skills

Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:37 am

Learning English was perhaps the crucial element in my self-improvement journey (I am from Germany).

I never learned English properly in school, and I've never needed it in my job.

So I started learning English from scratch with 34 through reading a ton of books and attending courses (had eventually a IELTS score of 6.5 in a test six years ago).

Books, podcasts, forums, all of of this wouldn't have been accessible for me without knowledge of the language. Self-improvement literature in German is of mediocre quality unfortunately.

English is the lingua franca in Europe, and making friends and getting girls in Eastern Europe would have been an almost impossible task without speaking English.

Yes, learning English improved my life tremendously.
KillYourInnerLoser
Name: Andy
Goal: Writing full-time.
Motto: "You sure as hell can too."

Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:56 am

@AGF I'm eventually going to write a post called "other people's recommendations". Mind if I use this in it? Giving you credit of course.
Andy / Australia
My Transformation

140+ lays / 14 threesomes / 1 foursome (MFFF)
Goals 2020: Pay all bills from coaching. Finish 3some & BDSM guides.
PM me for 1-on-1 coaching
AGF
Goal: $1,000,000 until 2025

Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:53 am

KillYourInnerLoser wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:56 am
@AGF I'm eventually going to write a post called "other people's recommendations". Mind if I use this in it? Giving you credit of course.
Sure, go ahead. I'll try to post at least one book recommendation here per week
2020 goals:
  • $50,000 in annual revenue - done, new goal $100,000
  • get 5 professional photos for online dating
  • cut down to 75kg
  • finish 30 books/audiobooks
MacTheKnife
Goal: Date hotter women

Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:48 pm

The book that helped me with mental health the most is Feeling Good by David Burns. It completely opened my eyes to the idea that I wasn't responsible for the thoughts that popped up in my brain, only for how I responded to them. And it really worked well for my analytical/engineering mind since he breaks everything down into concrete steps. It was an excellent intro to CBT. The only weakness (that I believe he addressed in later publications) is that the book makes it seem like you should almost NEVER feel badly. Regardless, his 3-column technique is one of the most helpful exercises I've ever come across - I still use it to this day, it's the quickest and easiest way for me to get to a powerfully calm place.

Another book I liked is Intimate Connections, also by David Burns. Slightly dated nowadays but he has great ideas of how to mentally approach dating. Most of it is still applicable today.
Mav
Name: Mason
Goal: Get a Relationship
Motto: There Is No Tomorrow

Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:57 pm

Just got done listening to both Rogan/Goggins podcasts a few times, as well as Can't Hurt Me Audiobook. The audiobook is really good. He came from nothing and did the seemingly impossible, even with two heart surgeries. While I couldn't relate with a lot of the stuff in it (ex. his military career, running, etc.), it shows you what can be done with the right willingness and mindset. One of the more minor things I took away from it, was seeing his terrible stretch marks all over his arms and how he just didn't give a fuck. Much easier for me to bite the bullet in my personal life and say "roger that".

Looking for more recommendations like this. Basically just listen to podcasts/audiobooks all day at work/gym.

While Grant Cardone rubs me the wrong way and I kind of despise the guy, I'd recommend his 10X audio book. Also, Jordan Belfort's Straight Line, especially Module 5 called "Inner Game of Sales".