Optimising your diet for optimal health

Thebastard
Goal: ....
Motto: ....

Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:34 am

So this isn't about losing fat or gaining muscle per se but I am curious what your view on the ideal diet for you is?

I am going to be revamping my eating practices for longevity and health as best I can now that I am 35 (though I should have gotten on top of this long ago).

Alcohol and drugs aside, I am just talking about food and supplements. How does your meal plans (if any) look?

I am getting rid of all sugar pretty much as well as anything with trans-fats in it. I am also trying to get my carbs down to 50-70g/day or less and making sure those carbs are the healthiest there is. I know the specifics vary from person to person.

What I am trying to focus on are:

- Whole eggs. Ideally pasture ones (not pasteurised) and free range
- EV Olive oil
- Grass-fed and organic butter
- Any kind of berry
- Walnuts (small amount)
- 85%+ dark chocolate (small amount)
- Salmon (assuming wild caught)
- Beef (assuming confirmed to be grass-fed and grass-killed) - may not be a possibility until I am 100% sure about this
- Avocado (bit of a ballache to buy for a week and have all edible by the time the next shopping delivery/trip is due)
- Mushrooms

As for carbs:
- White long grain rice (small amount and only after a strenous workout)
- Sweet potatoes

Condiments:
- Ginger
- Turmeric

Supplements:
- Garlic
- Vitamin D3/Vitamin K2
- Krill Oil

Not a big fan of vegetables though if I had to choose one it would probably be spinach.

Also important is how you cook it, i.e. not making meat less healthy by not cooking it correctly - anyone got any ideas about this?
For my free 2016-2017 Golden Eagle Project pdf with commentary, PM me

2023 Goals
Sort my shit out
MakingAComeback
Goal: 3k Per Month Post Tax
Motto: POSITIVE SELF TALK

Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:26 pm

Good to see you, legend.

I like the following for health optimisation:

-Keto
-Carnivore
-Low Carb

If we're purely talking mental and physical health, I have seen these produce the best outcomes.

Low carb approaches, work well due to supporting mitochondrial biogenesis. It depends on the person, but some don't get improvements in mental health until their carbs are around 20-40g a day. Really depends on the status of your biology. More you need healing, the less carbs we want in the diet.

Cooking with grass fed butter or ghee, is a good move.

Otherwise, your plan is pretty good.

Ravi
-Your friend, Ravi

Consistent Performance Coach, Admin of WinnerWithin, and Seeker of Human Potential

My FB Group for Consistent Performance & Goal Achievement
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ironwilltribe
Thebastard

Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:46 am

MakingAComeback wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:26 pm
Good to see you, legend.

I like the following for health optimisation:

-Keto
-Carnivore
-Low Carb

If we're purely talking mental and physical health, I have seen these produce the best outcomes.

Low carb approaches, work well due to supporting mitochondrial biogenesis. It depends on the person, but some don't get improvements in mental health until their carbs are around 20-40g a day. Really depends on the status of your biology. More you need healing, the less carbs we want in the diet.

Cooking with grass fed butter or ghee, is a good move.

Otherwise, your plan is pretty good.

Ravi
Sounds good Ravi! I am definitely going to be implementing a keto-based diet from now on, lowering the carbs as low as I can without any issues (energy in the gym, issues with sleep due to lack of serotonin etc.)

What foods do you eat if I might ask? And what kind of cooking in the case of meats?

Anyone got any recommendations for foods to add or condiments and supplements?

2023 Goals
Sort my shit out
MILFandCookies
Name: Joe
Goal: $10k+/month
Motto: Unchain your Passion & Live Life on Your Own Terms

Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:53 pm

You did some quality research your plan is pretty fukkin good.

How are you going to stick to it? You think you can just dive in and make it happen off the bat? Or do you need some accountability system, or ramp-up system.
I've helped > 100 guys get laid on dating apps.
📸🔥 Dating App Photographer - I'll get you laid, click here: https://www.DatingUnchained.com/ 🔥📸

P.S. I don't like MILFs, just the name ;)

Goal 1:
• Build + maintain $10k+ profit/month

Goal 2:
• Cut some fat to get abs again
Paid Renegade
Name: Colton
Goal: Make Money

Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:44 pm

A noble quest. If you would like I can post the meal plan that has been my foundation for like 4 years now (clears skin, better gym gains, less inflammation etc)

I’m just gonna be contrarian and say that I believe carbs are your friend if you’re a highly active guy (which we all should be) but pick them carefully. You’re right to cut out sugar, the exception I’ve made is a little fruit first thing in the am and then pre workout. Including a small handful of blueberries for antioxidants. Gives a nice transient workout pump and replenishes glycogen in the morning.

I noticed you have sweet potatoes as one of your 2 carb options, be careful lol. I did the same thing at first because they’re considered a super food and I ate one every day pre workout. Turned my mouth and nose orange I kid you not and took a couple months to clear. I may do a write up/article on this with pics.

Now I focus on brown rice preworkout, white post, old fashion oats in the morning. Along with healthy fats and protein every meal to slow absorption and give you everything you need.

Just my 2c
Thebastard

Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:10 am

@MILFandCookies

I don’t think it should be too hard because last time I was in Mexico my diet was similar to what I am planning to do.

That said things weren’t dialled in. I kept cheating by ordering ubereats crap like pizza and tacos and what not.

@Paid Renegade

Damn! That’s mad about the sweet potatoes.

Yeah please post your meal plan! I am very curious to see that.

2023 Goals
Sort my shit out
AGF
Goal: $1,000,000 until 2025

Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:10 am

Good idea for a thread.

Bastard has already covered a lot. Eliminating sugar, alcohol, nicotine, gluten and most dairy already goes a long way for most people. I think that's more important than following a specific diet like keto, carnivore, etc.

What I would add:

- avoid additives and sugar replacements. A lot of times "light" or "low fat" products contain a lot of additives that fuck up your digestion. Same for protein shakes and protein bars
- I believe most vegetables and fibres are an unnecessary strain for your digestion
- going for a walk after eating a meal
- weighing yourself every morning after peeing + having a consistent diet (no crazy cheat days but also no crazy starving) gives you a very good idea where you currently stand in terms of calories
- no coffee in the afternoon

Supplements I take:
- Essential Amino Acids (EAAs) every morning, especially when I train on an empty stomach
- Magnesium before bed time for better recovery
- Zinc after first meal
- digestive enzymes before heavy meals
- Supplement for joint health that contains MSM, Curcumin, Glucosamine, Chondroitin, OPC, silicium, black pepper extract and more
- Collagen powder from grass-fed Argentinean cows (for protein intake but also skin and digestive benefits)
- Creatine together with the collagen shake
- liver supplement (dandelion extract) if I drink alcohol. Take before going out, before going to bed, and the next mornin
Zug
Goal: Find a wife
Motto: Strength before weakness

Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:59 pm

All you really need to do is avoid processed things, including anything that gets concentrated and combined with other concentrated items. I know in some sense that's the essence of gastronomy, but its also where everything goes off the rails. Even olive oil and butter are concentrating the more natural form.

The less steps required to make something, the better. The closer each individual ingredient is to its base form, the better.

You can apply this logic to any more complicated diet to prevent yourself from going off the rails. All these Keto cookies and vegan hamburgers are violating this principle to a violent extreme.

I stick to things like fruits, grilled/smoked meats, grilled veggies, nuts, milk, and copious amount of diet soda :D
Thebastard

Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:27 am

I should probably add I am currently addicted to caffeine and nicotine.

Plan of action to get over them once I am in Mexico will be kratom + ice baths (this worked last time).

Then I will stop the kratom (which has zero sides for me). As for caffeine either it will be x1-2 a week or I will bin it altogether, haven’t decided. I will be eating dark chocolate anyway so probably wise to ditch coffee altogether.

@AGF

Yeah I have phased out protein powder and bars as painful as that was.

As for veggies, from what I can ascertain, grass-fed red meat that is cooked properly (something I still am researching) should give you all the nutrients you need (except Vit D and some others) thereby making veggies redundant. Especially liver though I never eat it as I just can’t stand the taste.

As for fibre I would have thought a small portion of walnuts should do the trick anyway.

Interesting about the EAAs. Once upon a time I used to take that. I guess I could take them pre-workout. And it wouldn’t really affect my fasting because even if they do break the fast, I am going to be eating anyway a short while later. I guess I more concerned about the addictive shite these powders have.

Therefore, what about the collagen + creatine pre-workout instead? Presumably you get those same EAAs from the collagen? Not sure I will be able to find a decent grass-fed source in Latam but I will certainly look for it.

As for supplements for joint health – back in the day I used to take something called Animal Flex. I am having issues with my neck so maybe it would be worth adding this in there.

That reminds me, I am also taking:

- N-A-C upon waking up. Mike Cernovich used to recommend that
- The Huberman sleep stack: Magnesium L-Threonate + L-theanine. Apigenin is also part of the stack but I only tried one bottle – not sure how much of a different it makes. He also says you can take this PCO for women type supplement every 3rd day or if you are woken up and need to get back to sleep.
- Metformin. I have been taking that for a while as Jay Campbell recommends for longevity. That said, there might be something up with the one I take (in Latam) because other brands give me really bad gastro-issues and disaster pants (which this brand does not). That might be a good thing though as Jay says it is normal because it is indicative of something bad with your gut bacteria which metformin is meant to fix assuming in tandem with a rock solid diet your body likes
- Zinc + copper. I’ve been taking that every 2nd day

@Zug

Why the diet soda? (or you were joking?) I stopped taking all sodas because even the diet versions are full of additives and unhealthful sweeteners. Thoughts on that?

Never tried a keto cookie.

2023 Goals
Sort my shit out
AGF
Goal: $1,000,000 until 2025

Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:03 am

Thebastard wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:27 am

@AGF

Interesting about the EAAs. Once upon a time I used to take that. I guess I could take them pre-workout. And it wouldn’t really affect my fasting because even if they do break the fast, I am going to be eating anyway a short while later. I guess I more concerned about the addictive shite these powders have.

Therefore, what about the collagen + creatine pre-workout instead? Presumably you get those same EAAs from the collagen? Not sure I will be able to find a decent grass-fed source in Latam but I will certainly look for it.
There are EAAs that are without any additives and not in powder form. Just pure amino acids with 99% bio availability. Google "Master Amino Pattern" (don't have to buy exactly that brand but similar EAA tablets should contain the same 8 amino acids). They are much higher dosage than the EAAs that are added to protein shakes, collagen shakes, etc. (writing EAAs on the label of these products is just a marketing trick to make them look healthier).

I take 4-5 of these EAA pills immediately after waking up. I even split-tested the effect of it. If I go for a 5km run on an empty stomach, I am much slower compared to a 5km run on empty stomach but with 5 EAAs 20min before the run. There are studies about the Master Amino Pattern that suggest the same benefit. They also seem to suppress hunger and food cravings when taken on an empty stomach (kind of like black coffee when you do Intermittent Fasting).

Speaking of coffee: I am currently trying to replace coffee with tea after noticing that I am not actually craving the caffeine itself but rather the feeling of drinking a hot beverage immediately after waking up when I start working.

Collagen + Creatine as pre-workout: pretty sure that you are breaking the fast with that. And I personally have problems digesting Creatine on an empty stomach. I always drink my collagen + creatine (mixed with water) after a meal, especially when I get sugar cravings after eating something. 30g of Collagen mixed with water is about 110kcal with 27g of protein.
Tragedy
Goal: Improving health
Motto: I want my last words to be "Once more!"

Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:10 pm

Vitamin C is super cheap in powder form and it is necessary for collagen therefore contrasting ageing. Also humans are almost the only animals who cannot produce it themselves and need to eat lotta from savanah fruits that do not exist anymore nowadays.

>1g/day is non negotiable for me.
Details on my goals and progress: https://pastebin.com/2qsfC0sz
kratjeuh
Goal: ...lskd

Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:12 pm

Zug wrote:
All you really need to do is avoid processed things, including anything that gets concentrated and combined with other concentrated items. I know in some sense that's the essence of gastronomy, but its also where everything goes off the rails. Even olive oil and butter are concentrating the more natural form.

The less steps required to make something, the better. The closer each individual ingredient is to its base form, the better.

You can apply this logic to any more complicated diet to prevent yourself from going off the rails. All these Keto cookies and vegan hamburgers are violating this principle to a violent extreme.

I stick to things like fruits, grilled/smoked meats, grilled veggies, nuts, milk, and copious amount of diet soda :D
Going to quote this one because it’s the only correct response and I see so many people with these weird over complicated routines.

Eat what zug mentioned above and take a blood test to see which values you’re lacking, you can compliment these with vitamin pills. There’s no need to take a supplement if you’re not lacking in that department.

Further eat either slightly more calories if you’re trying to gain weight, slightly less calories if you’re trying to lose weight or eat at maintenance if you’re happy with your weight.

In case of further replies of “diet experts” , the best athletes in the world stick to uncomplicated diets with loads of unprocessed foods. So just do the same, it’s that easy.
Bman
Name: Brandon
Goal: Get Laid
Motto: Pursue Purpose

Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:43 pm

kratjeuh wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:12 pm
Zug wrote:

Going to quote this one because it’s the only correct response and I see so many people with these weird over complicated routines.

Eat what zug mentioned above and take a blood test to see which values you’re lacking, you can compliment these with vitamin pills. There’s no need to take a supplement if you’re not lacking in that department.

Further eat either slightly more calories if you’re trying to gain weight, slightly less calories if you’re trying to lose weight or eat at maintenance if you’re happy with your weight.

In case of further replies of “diet experts” , the best athletes in the world stick to uncomplicated diets with loads of unprocessed foods. So just do the same, it’s that easy.
Also stamping my approval on this. Exactly the way I eat. I try to get as close to the unprocessed, single ingredient version as possible. Mine is meat including fish and organ meats, bone broth, eggs, fruits, few veggies that don't specifically cause me stomach issues, honey, goat cheese and yogurt. I also cook in tallow instead of butter or olive oil. Been eating that way for 3 years.

You can adjust your macros of fats vs carbs to what works best for your body and energy levels.

Simple works best.
Public Log: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=1397
Year 1: viewtopic.php?p=49033#p49033
Year 2: viewtopic.php?p=66924#p66924

"Absorb what is useful. Reject what is useless. Add what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee
AskTheDom
Name: Mario
Goal: Coach
Motto: Alea iacta est

Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:18 pm

So I have to go to a dinner and I like this post because I'm becoming addicted to Biohacking

I'd want to chime in saying to avoid all "sodas" because they contain phosphoric acid which leads to less bone density (which is something we absolutely don't want as it's prime frailty suspect that lead to osteoporosis.

Now, of course a can of coke zero here and then won't kill you, but I've seen people dawning 4 of those daily....

Also, I don't know why are you taking NAC? there are no studies that legit what Cerno said about it (or all the lung reparatory claims made online a.e) aside from few other things ( like overdose of paracetamol)

I would say a "clean" diet ( with clean for "it's one ingredient only in the list") and sticking to it with frequent controls would do the job
Mario "The Dom" Tubone
Your Dominance coach - I help Men becoming more confident and competent both inside and outside the bedroom

MY WEEKLY PODCAST: https://rb.gy/8u2e1z
Paid Renegade
Name: Colton
Goal: Make Money

Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:48 pm

Thebastard wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:10 am
@Paid Renegade

Damn! That’s mad about the sweet potatoes.

Yeah please post your meal plan! I am very curious to see that.
Agree with @Zug @kratjeuh @Bman, I don't want to add too much to the noise here but since you're interested I'll post the plan here. It is pretty simple and whole-foods based with some specific recipes that might help you or other guys looking for balanced meal ideas.

I have a “lean bulking” version and a cutting version. The former starts at 2800 calories and can be adjusted from there while the latter starts at 2400 and can easily be dropped to 2000 which is lower than I ever need to go. With this I can stay sub 10% bf year round if I choose while gradually getting stronger.

My goal with this plan was/is equal parts aesthetics/bodybuilding and overall health. Those tend to overlap especially when talking about things like clearing acne, improving hair, reducing bloat, etc.
Still, if I was only concerned with general well-being and not bodybuilding there would be a couple differences such as less protein and fewer meals. You certainly don’t have to spread the meals out like I have, but I’ve found that more frequent meals work best for supporting strength gains especially while staying lean. It’s the classic bodybuilding MO for a reason.

You can also pick and choose individual meals, I built this plan based on what I have available to me but my general advice I give to friends and family is to start by just stealing a meal or 2 and going from there. That’s basically what I did at first. The scrambled eggs recipe I stole from bodybuilder Brandon Hendrickson, the oats recipe from Simeon Panda, the Mexican-style shredded chicken I took from Kinobody. Other things such as salmon post workout have just been things I’ve loved to eat since I was a kid. Point is you’ve got options and even just starting out by adding in a couple easy to make recipes can make a big difference.

That said, I like a fully inclusive plan for myself with all the meals and macros listed because it ensures consistency and removes a lot of decision fatigue in terms of deciding what to eat (especially when eating 5+ meals per day)

Anyway here are the meals -

Cutting version:
(I'll include the calories and macros here cause why not)

Breakfast - scrambled eggs and oats (separately) - 575, 40p, 18.5f, 64c

2 eggs – 160, 12p, 10f
¾ cup Egg whites – 95, 20p
Seasoning (Brandon Hendrickson): black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder (no salt)
-
½ cup oats – 150, 5p, 3f
Almond milk – 30, 1p, 2.5f (That's for one cup, but you won't need that much. It's for moisture/flavor)
Fruit (½ apple, ½ banana) – 100, 1p
1 tsp Cinnamon - 5
1 tsp Almond butter – 35, 1p, 3f

At-work meal/snack – Mexican style shredded chicken & rice - 415, 39p, 7f, 41c
6 oz (1 breast) 99% fat free chicken (Foster Farms) – 165, 33p, 1f
¾ cup brown rice – 160, 3p, 1f
Salsa - 15, 3c
35g guacamole (1/2 container from Costco) – 45, 1p, 4f,3c
1 cup broccoli – steam in a bowl in the microwave for 2min - 30, 3p

Pre-workout Meal – 490, 36p, 12f, 60c
6 oz 99% fat free chicken (Foster Farms) – 165, 33p, 1f
1 medium (5”x2”/130g) sweet potato – 130, 2p
1 tbsp. coconut oil – accounting for 20% loss – 95, 11f
Fruit (1 apple) – 100, 1p

^As mentioned in my last post, I wouldn't eat this one every day unless you wanna turn into an oompa loompa. Another great option that I've subbed in is a chicken wrap. Take a low carb wrap and layer on some cream cheese, then shredded chicken, then salt and guac, then lettuce. freaking delicious and comes to about the same macros.

Post Workout Meal - salmon & rice – 530, 48p, 15f, 51c
7oz (198g) Pacific Salmon – 230, 39p, 9f
1 cup white rice – 200, 4p, 45c
1 tsp. coconut oil – 40, 5f
2 cups broccoli – 60, 5p, 1f

Last meal/snack – fish, popcorn & a movie - 400, 48p, 7f, 47c

6oz (170g) pacific cod – 145, 32p, 1f
1 cup sugar snap/snow peas – 25, 1p, 5c
¼ cup Orville Redenbacher popcorn – 160, 5p, 2f, 39c
2 tsp. butter – 65, 8f

Totals (5 meals): 2410, 211p, 59.5f, 263c
Totals (excluding meal 2): 1995, 172p, 52.5f, 222c

-
Lean Bulking Version

Breakfast - 705, 48p, 24.5f, 73c
3 eggs – 240, 18p, 15f
¾ cup Egg whites – 95, 20p
Seasoning (Brandon Hendrickson): black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder (no salt)

2/3 cup oats (I’m going with old fashioned oats for now) – 200, 7p, 4f, 36c
Almond milk – 30, 1p, 2.5f (That's for one cup, but you won't need that much. It's for moisture/flavor)
Fruit (½ apple, ½ banana) – 100, 1p
1 tsp Cinnamon - 5
1 tsp Almond butter – 35, 1p, 3f

At-work meal/snack – 475, 44p, 10f, 56c
Salsa – 15, 3c
¾ cup brown rice – 160, 3p, 1f
70g guacamole (1 Costco container) – 90, 2p, 8f, 6c
2 cups broccoli – 60, 6p

Pre-workout Meal – 505, 36p, 12f, 63c
Salsa – 15, 3c
1 medium (5”x2”/130g) sweet potato – 130, 2p
1 tbsp. coconut oil – accounting for 20% loss – 95, 11f
^ Complex carbohydrate, preferably with unsaturated fat. Ex: brown rice, whole grain bread, sweet potato (in moderation), and avocado, olive oil, almond butter, or (low sugar) peanut butter.
Fruit (1 apple) – 100, 1p

Post Workout Meal – 710, 50p, 25f, 73c

7oz (198g) Pacific Salmon – 230, 39p, 9f
1.5 cups white rice – 300, 6p, 67c
1 tbsp. coconut oil – 120, 15f
2 cups broccoli – 60, 5p, 1f

Last meal/snack – 395, 38p, 11f, 44c alternative idea – fish tacos
6oz (170g) pacific cod (Tilapia works too) – 145, 32p, 1f
1 cup sugar snap/snow peas – 25, 1p, 5c
¼ cup Orville Redenbacher popcorn – 160, 5p, 2f, 39c
2 tsp. butter – 65, 8f
Alternative to popcorn: Complex carb + unsaturated fat. Ex: wholegrain pita with humus. Option 2 (in moderation) – pistachios.

TOTALS: 2800, 216P, 83F, 300C
MODS:
1.125 cups brown rice with meal 2. (1.5 dry.) + 80 calories.
½ cup blueberries pre-workout. + 40 calories
8 almonds with meal 2 (or 5). +50 calories
2 scoops orgain plant protein powder + 2 cups almond milk. Preferably post workout. +230c

-

If you want clarification on the prep for any of these meals, let me know. Oats are best cooked on stovetop and not in microwave. I use the "old fashioned" oats, not quick oats.

Chicken is cooked in a slow cooker. I make 4-5 days worth in advance. Just add chicken, a little beef buoillon, and powdered onion and garlic. It also works to just dump salsa in the cooker with the chicken. Easy as fuck and very tender. Store in tupperware then shred with a fork when serving. Play around with seasonings too, in addition to the garlic/onion powder I like adding salt and cumin to the chicken and rice bowls.

Disclaimer, I need to go over all the total calories/macros to make sure everything is still accurate since I've changed things around a bit over time. So some of the numbers may be slightly off but it's close, not that most people need that level of precision. TBH I just weigh myself once a week and then add/subtract a little food from my daily routine based on that and what my goals are.

Also @Zug I like diet soda too in moderation, and especially ICE sparkling water. Not that either one is necessarily super healthy but it sure helps with diet adherence because of the carbonation. The ICE brand in particular is unlike any other sparkling water I've ever tried, tastes amazing, is zero calories, and goes great with a bowl of popcorn at night. Half the girls I visit now have the stuff in their fridge too.

Oh yeah, and supplements. I take a multivitamin at night and creatine post workout. When bulking, I like plant-based protein powder for the extra protein/calories because my skin does not like whey protein.